Canopy question

sammyw

I am in the process of building a canopy for my 50 gallon. I am going to mount MH retros inside. I was wondering if anyone has heard of painting the inside of the canopy gloss white to reflect the light better. Yes, I am using reflectors on my MH's. It was just a brainstorm of mine about the paint.
Anyone with answers would be much appreciated.

40 galons

i personally think that is a great idea . iv pondered on the idea myself, but im too lazy to take the hood off... freaking thing weighs a ton

bgrae001

What about trying Aluminum foil and spray adhesive? I did that in my Hot Box I use for drying wood in, and it really concentrates the light!

mandarin w

It is a good idea to paint the inside of the canopy, but not for reflecting light. For that you will need to get reflectors to do that. The reason to paint the inside of the hood is to protect the wood from moisture. If you don't seal the wood properly the wood will absorb too much moisture and swell. It could very easily swell to the point of pulling itself apart. When you paint the inside use a marine paint, something designed for use on boats.

threed240

Go to your local hardware store and buy some Kills Sealant. It is a bright white paint that will seal your wood also. It prevents stains, mold, and mildew. I have ran my tank for about 10 months with no signs of any moisture.

thegrog

Paintint it gloss white is a good idea. Kilz is a great sealant for that and is what I use.
The aluminum foil is not a great idea as I would be worried about leaching of aluminum into the tank, which is toxic to marine life.

bgrae001

Originally Posted by TheGrog
Paintint it gloss white is a good idea. Kilz is a great sealant for that and is what I use.
The aluminum foil is not a great idea as I would be worried about leaching of aluminum into the tank, which is toxic to marine life.
What about using aluminum sheet metal, the same stuff that the reflectors are made of?

threed240

I dont think that the aluminum will make that big of a differance over the gloss white. It will just bounce the light side to side, eventually shining through the front and back of the tank. Thats my guess..