Canopy Questions

kevin34

I have planning to have 2 250w MH bulbs over my 125. My idea for a canopy so far is to have the main doors in the front and fans on each side. How should I direct the fans? Should one set be blowing into the canopy and one be sucking air out? Should both blow into the canopy? I want there to be a top on the canopy but it will lift up so I can change the bulbs easier. With the top covered will that cause more heat to build up? I really need the top covered because I have curious cats that will want to jump up and sit on top of the tank.

ameno

I just finished a canopy for a 125, I left the back open and I plan to have a fan pulling air out the back and not one pushing air in, the reason is so that you don't have contamints in the air being sucked into the hood. Not sure how well this is gona work yet since I am still in the process but thats the plan anyway

B

blackaero1

a lot of local guys around here have an open top canopy. You can't tell when loking at the front of it, but with an open top all the heat can just go straight up. Just another option.

gman08016

I have a home made canopy on my 150 with dual icecap fans in it.I have 1 blowing in and the other blowing out.If you are buying fans get the ones with the temp sensors built in them.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by gman08016
I have 1 blowing in and the other blowing out.
I agree... I have one one the left side of my hood blowin in and the right one going out... You can have both blowing in but you must have a way for the air to escape...Basic positive pressure ventalation.

kevin34

Ok I may try the air blowing in and out method, but I really cant have an open top. I am however planning on drilling large holes (maybe 2 inches in diameter) for wires and stuff like that. Would those help?

ifirefight

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Ok I may try the air blowing in and out method, but I really cant have an open top. I am however planning on drilling large holes (maybe 2 inches in diameter) for wires and stuff like that. Would those help?
If you go 1 in 1 out...you do not need extra holes. Let me see if I can find a pic of mine.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by geraldwhite
Man thats a sick canopy, you make that yourself?
Thanks,....Yes I did make it myself. :ideclare : https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/270833/new-hood-install-lots-of-pics

florida joe

Best thing to do is run different combinations with your fans while checking your water temp the coolest reading is the combo you keep simple as that

kevin34

Ifirefight, do you think 2 fans will be enough to keep the temp down with 2 250w bulbs? I read in your thread that you have 175w. What about 2 4 fan units?

ifirefight

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Ifirefight, do you think 2 fans will be enough to keep the temp down with 2 250w bulbs? I read in your thread that you have 175w. What about 2 4 fan units?
I have 2 - 175 watt MH and 320 watts of VHOs. My fans in the canopy come on when the lights go on and run until they go off. The tank temp actually DROPS 1 Degree with the lights running and fans running....so I would think you would be fine...you might not drop a degree but I doubt it will raise the temp. BTW ..I do not use a chiller, and the fans are 4" just like yours.