Canopy Supports & Paint

ian

I have to continue the 72 inch canopy project this weekend and it will involve trying to add some type of support for strength. Thus far I have a 3/4 inch thick box of plywood (4 pieces of wood no top) screwed tightly togehter. It is pretty firm but not firm enough. I am thinking about running 2 beams from front to back to support it but not sure if anyone has a better idea.
In addition I am going to need some advice on a good paint for the inside of the canopy. Any suggestions?

P

patrick g.

Originally posted by Ian
In addition I am going to need some advice on a good paint for the inside of the canopy. Any suggestions?

slick

You can use any good quality white paint for the inside of your canopy. It does not have to be a high heat brand. Then make sure you seal it up good with some poly or some other type of waterproofing material.

ian

Great thanks for the advice, any ideas to help support it better?
Maybe some kind of brace?

P

patrick g.

Originally posted by magyk
Polyurathane can go over white paint??

No one seems to know the answer to this question.

foulbrew

In general, I would not recommend putting poly over any paint.
In general, I would not recommend paint for the ******** of a canopy.
Many things need to be taken into account when determining how to finish any millwork. You need to consider many things to do it well enough to last. Type of wood, hardness of the wood, moisture content and environment to name a few.
Ian states he's using plywood, generally a good choice for a DIY canopy. But without knowing the core material, the grade, where its been stored and whether it has a hardware veneer I would not offer a suggestion. My guess would be that the moisture content of the plywood is too high for paint in such a warm environment and will eventually bubble and peel - even with a poly coating. You see, it's the moisture under the paint (which doesn't breathe as well as some other finishes), in the wood that will cause the issues. Again, just a guess based on 27 years of custom woodworking experience (I started young).:D

magyk

The wood that I'm going to use will be pine
so what would you use for the ******** of the canopy

foulbrew

magyk,
pine is a difficult wood to get to hold up over the years. It is very soft and very absorbant, making it less stable. It expands and contracts significantly more than other woods.
Things you need to do :
1) First make sure the would is dry. I'm talking about the moisture content of the wood. Originally this wood was kiln dried down to 4-8%, since then it has been absorbing moisture. You need to find a nice dry (low humidity) place to store this for a few days. A couple of low humidity days will take care of this. This is important for a couple of reasons, the most overlooked is that you want your finish to penetrate the wood as far as possible and the drier the wood the more absorbant.
DO NOT PUT IT IN THE SUN. Sunlight will dry out on side of the wood too fast and it will begin or try to cup and crack.
2) Remember, it is important that both sides of the wood be finished in a similar manner (not the same, similar). What I'm getting at here is that over time you do not want one side drying out while the other side isn't, again especially with pine, this will cause issues. You can have different looks inside and out. Remember, even finished wood breathes.
3) Use a finish that penetrates. Pine, more than most woods, will expand and contract with temperature and moisture. The width of the board more than the length (this is why all well built doors use panels). Most surface finishes (like paint) loose their elasticity after a while. This means that after a while the would is expanding and contracting and your finish isn't.
So, with pine I would...
1) Get an good, penetrating, oil based stain like Minwax and let the stain soak into the wood then wipe off the excess.
2) Let it dry in a low humidity environment for a few days.
3) Get a good polyurethane, and apply a thick first coat (you want this soaking in good).
4) Repeat step 2
5) Sand lightly, and apply a normal 2nd coat.
6) Sand lightly, and apply a normal 3rd coat.
Three coats will be enough.
If you believe that the inside must be white, you can by a good white stain or...
Instead of using stain thin a good quality oil based primer (1 to 5) and apply it, let it dry (step 2). If this isn't white enough then apply a thinned single coat of a good oil based exterior. The key here is having the paint penetrate the would as much as possble, you don't want your paint or your polyurethane just sitting on the surface, it needs to penetrate.
If you meant pine plywood (which is much more stable than the wood, the expansion/contraction/cracking issues go away to a large extent) I would feel better about using a good quality primer and paint like Behr. Making sure the wood is dried before applying the primer and the finish. Most paints will break down over time when exposed to salt water, thus requiring some protection. Slick appears to have had good success layering poly over paint, or he wouldn't advise it. My experience with different layered finishes has been sporadic (including poly over paint), with generally good initial results, but not so good long-term.
Hope that helps.

foulbrew

Patrick:
A good cabinet grade plywood with any hardwood veneer (oak, maple, birch, etc) wood be an excellent choice. But you need to be careful some of the stuff passed as plywood is not. You should see distinct layers of wood with no gaps in a cabinet grade plywood.
IAN:
Yes, it will work fine on birch.

slick

foulbrew gives good advice here. No the thing to remember is that no matter what you do the finish on the inside of your canopy probally won't last more that a few years. Very high moisture content, and a large fluctuation in tempature every day. Not to mention the salt creep on it.

ian

Slick,
I followed a lot of your advice on building this canopy but not having used a frame leaves me with a need to make it a little more firm. I though about using two left over pieces of plywood about 3 inches wide to run front to back as braces. Do you think this would work? Do you have a better idea? I really admire what I have seen of your work on here so I figure you are the man to ask.
thanks

slick

Thanks. Is there anyway you can take some pics of your canopy so far? If not you can make braces that run front to back. Every design is a little different as is every canopy. For instance if you have one board that is not cut off square and use that piece it will affect the strength and sturdyness of your canopy.