Cant do nothing

coachklm

Scientific Name- Siganus unimaculatus Common Names- One Spot Rabbitfish Foxface, One Spot Foxface Lo, Blotched Rabbitfish Foxface Care Level- Easy to Moderate Size- Up to 8 inches (20 cm)
Life span
- 5 years or longer
pH
8.1 - 8.4
Temperature
- 75°F - 82°F (25°C - 28°C)
Specific Gravity
- 1.020 - 1.025
Carbonate Hardness (dKH)-
8 - 12°
Origin / Habitat
Western Pacific, Western Australia, Phillipines
Temperament / Behavior
-- They can be aggressive with other rabbitfish but may be able to co-exist with a member of the opposite ---. Other fish should leave them alone because of their venomous dorsal fins.
Breeding / Mating / Reproduction
-- Very difficult to breed Foxface Rabbitfish in captivity.
Tank Size
-75 gallon (284 liters) minimum
Compatible Tank Mates Use caution when selecting tank mates. Avoid keeping them with other rabbitfish and keep them well fed in reef tanks. They will nip at soft corals when hungry.
Disease Saltwater Fish Disease
- Diagnose, Symptoms and Treatment
Diet / Fish Food
Primarily an herbivore, try to give them a variety of marine foods but predominantly marine algae. Having plenty of live rock for them to graze on goes a long way. They should accept vitamin enriched flake foods, frozen and definitely live foods.
Tank Region Usually middle to bottom
Gender Difficult to determine the differences between males and females.
Similar Species Rabbit Fish

djm

Yellow tangs can be kept quite comfortably in a 75 gallon tank. Many Tang species do grow quite large aren't suitable.
Foxface are venomous and ANY venomous fish is not recommended for a beginner. They do have many positive attributes- they have a pretty long lifespan, eat a wide variety of foods (mostly greens, though), and won't stay hidden in your rockwork. Other downsides are that they can get pretty large and some fish won't tolerate them (mainly some tangs).
Mandarins can be difficult to keep only because they are picky eaters and usually only feed off of the bottom. That means that they generally won't eat anything that is floating around. They are definitely a bad choice for anything other than a seasoned reef tank, unless you have tons of time to dedicate to feeding them directly to be sure they don't starve.
I have no personal experience with the other species you asked about.

alyssia

It seems like another case of someone getting mad b/c we aren't telling them what they want to hear.

dogstar

Originally Posted by JesikaRose
If you truely think that only certian fish will work... then make out a list of what can and cant... rather then us newbis posting topic after topic of will it work!!!
Its already been done......called a book....I recomend ' Marine Fishes ' by Scott Michael. Many websites that sell fish may list different species with or without regaurd to try to get you to buy something even if your tank or tankmates is not considered best or compatable....People here are not trying to sell you anything and only care that what you try will work...most of them anyway....and yes many also only repeat what others say and really have no experiance them selfs but that just life....you have to decide your self as to what is true or not.....there are so many different circumstances to be considered in this hobby and some even if a tank is plenty big enough, it still want mean that a species should be tried because many other factors to consider as well.....just keep learning and researching and asking questions and take ALL answers into consideration but dont fully trust any of them, even mine. haha, and enjoy the hobby with us.....its always changeing and evolving and there will be many disapointments too.....you may just discover the secrets to keeping some of the harder species yourself...but this come from trail and error...if your willing to except the final results of the errors....

S

sea_star

Originally Posted by alyssia
It seems like another case of someone getting mad b/c we aren't telling them what they want to hear.
I bet that happens a lot.
There are plenty of awesome fish that can go in a 75. I am totally satisfied with all of the fish in my 72 (minus the yellow-tail damsel). Don't get mad about the fish that you can't have. Concentrate on all of the fish that you can have.

fishygurl

Your list looks good and you could have any of those other fish(but you would have to pick a couple i wouldn't have all of them in your tank just a couple)Mandarin=lots of live rock and you might have to buy tigger pods(i think thats what they are called)

fishman8

Originally Posted by rara12
Most of the fish are wild caught and if your just going to ignore your limitations then the reefs around the world will be bare because people like you. When i first started i did get upset due to these limitations but due to the many many nice fish i worked around it and had a great tank, you just need to do the same. This might sound rude but whining about it and saying your going to put the fish in your tank anyway is just reckless.
And your not rescuing the fish from a ten or twenty gallon tank. The lfs is only suppose to house the fish for a little while till people buy them for a correctly sized tank. If you by the fish, it will be replaced and then your just causing another fish to suffer. So please except your limitations and just work around it.
P.S. you frustrate me :mad:

A true "corporate guy from *****." Maybe if some people watch the way they say things and be a little nicer to people they will not get frustrated as quick. People come here for help and not attitudes. Comments like this really ruin message boards.
PS. No sir you frustrate me!!!!!

jesikarose

Sorry I just got back from work.. Thank you for those that are helping me.. i know you dont have to... I have a couple books... not that one in particluar but i do have books... I am not mad becuase your telling me somthing i dont want to hear... I was upset... becuase their are certian people who act like becuase i am a newbi and asking question that i am trying to annoy them... so i guess that is why I was frustrated.
I know this is an awsome forum... and most everyone here is really wonderful... but i fell like becuase i am a beginner to salt... its as if i have never had diffcult fish before. Grant it They were fresh. But still... I was told that under no circumstance that three of my freshwater fish would work together... and yet they live peacefully and happy... always have... they started in a 55 then a 75 and then now a 120.... so when people tell me stick to beginner fish... its like i feel insulted... i know some fish require more time... but that is why i went from having a 120g,75g,(2) 55g,20g,6g.. To just my 120 and my 75... i knew it was going to be more work... i even kept my 20 for a quartine tank, because as a newbi i know how important they are. I am not jumping into thing... I am trying to start a second cycle... I have looked at fish and looked at fish (drove three hours to to look at fish) I am a newbi... but please to do tell me that becuase i have no experiance in salt that my freashwater means nothing... i know the basic really well... I have helped set up so many tanks for other people that i am not sure anymore where they all are.
agian thanks for everything
i am really not trying to pffend anyone I just want people to understand that they are not the gods of saltwater... not saying everyone is.. just a few

poniegirl

Just realize that there are either "strictly by the book" responses or there are "experience based responses". You can tell which is which, and IMO, experience on even one species takes YEARS to trust, not just one or two years.
Add your fish slowly and leave room.

cjml

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Just realize that there are either "strictly by the book" responses or there are "experience based responses". You can tell which is which, and IMO, experience on even one species takes YEARS to trust, not just one or two years.
Add your fish slowly and leave room.
Yes - add slowly and monitor your tankcarefully-what does happen to all those fish in our lfs??? I think alot of them do not end up well-and they suffer-so its better to try and put them in good tanks then suffer and die in the lfs. We brought home two bicolored blennies because they were in those tiny small cubicles at the lfs with absolutely no place to hide and they were being nipped at terribly by the other fish in their little cubicle-- they would have been dead very soon-they need places to hide. They are thriving and very happy in my tank with lots of hiding spaces. I think there are more fish out there then people who want them or who think they can put them in their tank. A yellow tang could go into a 70 gal Ido believe......and probably others--if they have been captured out of their ocean they need the best we can give them-which is absolutely not like where they came from!! ML :happyfish :happyfish

cjml

Another pic of my little one...he wouldn't come out for days-so scared-now he is all over my tank!

murph

I would not get to worked up about any of this in regards to what you can and cant have. You may not believe me now but in a couple of years if your still in the hobby try to remember you read this and you may even already understand what I am saying from your freshwater experience.
In the first year or so your in the hobby your taste in livestock, corals, equipment and even size of the system you want to maintain will likely change more than a few times before you settle into whats right for you and your budget.
In other words give yourself some time to gain some experience and just try to use some common sense. There will always be conflicting advice and if you think the information overload and over abundance of experts in this hobby is difficult to deal with try playing golf for a few months. It will make this hobby seem vastly less complicated. :joy:
Edit......
And by the way; the term "cant do nothing" is a double negative and actually implies that you can do something. See what I mean; your getting there already.

poniegirl

Murph said:
I would not get to worked up about any of this
Edit......
And by the way; the term "cant do nothing" is a double negative and actually implies that you can do something
. See what I mean; your getting there already.[/QUOTE
Beautifully said.

fishman8

Originally Posted by l_weeder_l
What kinds of fish are you trying to keep in your 70 gal.?
Read posts 16 and 17.....

djm

PonieGirl said:

Originally Posted by Murph
I would not get to worked up about any of this
Edit......
And by the way; the term "cant do nothing" is a double negative and actually implies that you can do something
. See what I mean; your getting there already.[/QUOTE
Beautifully said.
Uhm.. "too worked up."
Murph brought up a great point and I don't get the feel that Murph was entirely using Jesika's poor grammar as an excuse to feel superior for some reason. Her double negative was a great way to prove the point that most anything is possible with a bit of effort. Give it a try Jesika and always feel free to ask questions here.
I'm not quite sure what exactly you are giggling about, PonieGirl. Would you care to elaborate?

juston515

JesikaRose,
I've had 3 years with my 75gal reef tank. I've had a lot of fish die on me in the past but for reasons that was my fault. Right now the current fish in my tank are 2 ocellaris clowns,
2 green Chromis, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 engineer goby, 1 Dussimer Tang. I plan on adding a blue regal tang and a yellow tang. A while back (before I had an ICH break out) I had about 4 tangs, 2 clowns 4 chromis 1 Anthias and a small lionfish. Now take in consideration all of my fish were 3in and under. So a lot of tangs and other fish I think are possible. A lot of people will tell you as well about your bio-load. Which is true, when stocking your tank w/ numerous fish make sure your filtration is good and just keep up with your water perameters and anything is possible!! Good luck and post some pics when you start to stock!!