Can't find sand

newone

HI I live in the chicago are. I can not get southdown sand.I can find Gulf coust white beach sand and play sand from east loop sand company inc hollidayburg, pa. Any HELP

newone

I read that oldcastle is good to use. Is that true or not ? There is a HD by me that has it.:notsure:

T

thomas712

Southdown, yardright, and Old Castle playsands are the caclium carbonate based, ootlic style, rounded sand that you are looking for.
Buy a bag of the Oldcastle, they are the company that bought out Southdown.
Take a glass and get some wet, make sure that it stays white, Take some dry and pour some white vinegar on it and see if it fizzes or seems to melt.
Thomas

mryg15

We live in IL too and couldnt get old castle or south down either, but a brand that is available is Mississippi Lime Calcium Carbonate. Mississippi Lime makes everything from cement to gravel to sand.

jscarb2

oldcastle makes other sands you need the tropical play sand that looks like this it will say oldcastle instead of southdown

salty cheese

Newone
I bought mine at the HD in Rockford last year, also there was a rumor that the HD in Elgin had it in stock too.
HTH S.C.

newone

I Looked high and I looked Low. and I found some- a 30 min drive from the house but well worth the trip!:cheer: