can't find yellow wrasse

pete159

I added a 2 inch yellow wrasse to my 46g bowfront yesterday. he was bright yellow at the store but because he was scared he turned white in the bag.
After i added him he has not been seen since. It has only been one day and i read they hide in the sand, but if he dies and i can't find him is it a sure bet i will have an ammonia spike or will my filter be able to handle it?
i have 30 lbs of live rock, an emporer280 filter, a chiller, a aqua c remora protein skimmer, 2 powerheads and various fish. i always keep nitrates below .15 with water changes and have never had an ammonia outbreak so far.
lets hope he makes an appearance soon

nina&noah

Don't panic yet. My yellow wrasse was MIA for a few days before he finally made an appearance. Now he is the most social fish in the tank. I love him.
I've never heard of them turning white. I didn't know they would do that.

pete159

maybe not totally white, but a very pale yellow compared to what he looked like at the fish store when he was a deep colorfull yellow.
Ok then i hope he is just hiding under the sand for now. I'll do daily water tests to make sure nothibng bad is happening.
lets say he is dead, if my bio filter is strong enough will i only get a rise in nitrates and no ammonia reading?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by pete159
http:///forum/post/2648225
maybe not totally white, but a very pale yellow compared to what he looked like at the fish store when he was a deep colorfull yellow.
Ok then i hope he is just hiding under the sand for now. I'll do daily water tests to make sure nothibng bad is happening.
lets say he is dead, if my bio filter is strong enough will i only get a rise in nitrates and no ammonia reading?
Do you have inverts? They would eat most, if not all, of the body. If you do have a lot of biological filtration then you may not see a spike in ammonia nor nitrite. I do hope he is well though.

luca brasi

Mind stayed buried for 2-3 days at first. Every now and then he won't come out for a day too
I've heard some say more than a week, so...

R

rcreations

Yea, they stay buried when they're stressed. Mine didn't come out for a few days when I first got it and the same thing when I upgraded tanks. Otherwise it's a great fish! Very hard to catch though since you have no idea where it is.

mikedog

I would not worry for a few more days. My red coris wrasse goes missing for it seems like weeks sometimes. Just a few days ago, I added live sand, and I changed my rocks around, and I didnt see him for no less than 5 days, but he knows when its feeding time, and sticks his head out of the sand. Good luck with yours, and give yours a chance, I bet hes doing fine.

nietzsche

i knew a guy who had a wrasse buried in the sand for one month before it came out. he thought it had died long ago. my yellow wrasse went missing for a day and a half and then popped out to inspect everything. once he hides he hides the rest of the day until the next. usually comes out at the same time everyday, weird

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by nietzsche
http:///forum/post/2650747
once he hides he hides the rest of the day until the next.
Haha mine does the same thing! If he goes into hiding at 1, even through feedings, he won't come out til the next day, lol
Goofy fish