Can't Get PH to Rise?

donna2933

My PH is at 8.0 alk at 500 and I can't get the PH to rise above 8.0 and I have been adding Kents PH Plus and it is still at 8.0. I have been testing with a Salifert test kit and purchased a different kind today thinking the test may not be accurate, and I got the same reading. Why could keep the PH from rising? Alk is not low and Magnesium is where it should be.

@knight

i had the same problem about 2 weeks ago, i just kept adding it then about after a week to 10 days i notices a slight rise. I used the seachem proper ph 8.3

burnnspy

High alkalinity will prevent a pH rise also.
I don't know anything about Kent marine ph plus, I recommend Sea Chem Marine Buffer and Sea Chem reef builder when alk. needs a boost when pH is good.
What kind of gravel do you have and how much(how deep in inches)?
How long has the tank been running?
BurnNSpy

donna2933

BurnNSpy
The tank has been running about a year. I have 5 inches live sand.
Should I keep added buffer to raise the PH and will the alkalinity continue to rise? I was told by one of my LFS that the alkalinity was only going to raise up so high and then the PH would have to raise is that correct?
Thanks

burnnspy

Do you add Kalkwasser? Do you use a Calcium Reactor?
I wouldnt try to raise the alkalinity any more, its not a problem.
BurnNSpy
[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: BurnNSpy ]

donna2933

BunrnSpy
I do not use a reactor and I do have Kalkwasser that I just purchased but have not used it yet. Is the kalkwasser what I need to use to raise the PH?
[ June 03, 2001: Message edited by: donna2933 ]

burnnspy

What I recommend now is that you stop using whatever you use to add calcium, then use 1tsp of Kalkwasser per gallon of makeup water.
This will bring up the pH and should keep your calcium at a reasonable level. Ph of 8.0 is okay and should not harm anything as long as your alkalinity is good.
BurnNSpy

donna2933

BurnNSpy
Thanks SO Much for your input on the PH problem. I have just added the Kalkwasser (slowly by hand into aquarium) and I am already getting a higher reading for my PH. I will discontinue the use of my calcium additive. I was using Restore (2 part additive) put it clearly wasn't working like it was suppose to as far as PH is concerned.
Thanks again!!
:) :)

burnnspy

Your welcome.
Keep the Restore around just in case, if your alkalinity drops to low then you may use it to help increase it.
I recommend using Kalkwasser and Sea Chem reef builder or similar products because it allows you to adjust Ca and Alk. seperately when necessary.
I use 1 tsp of Kalk per gallon of makeup water and Kent Marine Turbo Calcium about once a week to give Ca a little boost.
I do a 1gal water change every Sunday for essential element replacement.
BurnNSpy

donna2933

BurnNSpy
I have the Kent's Turbo Calcium & was using that until I started with the Restore so I will go back to using it. I am going to retest the water for PH level sometime tomorrow afternoon and if it is low I will add more kalkwasser. I checked the PH once after I added the kalkwasser and it was 8.4 so I'll see if it holds there tomorrow.
Thanks so much for your help.
Donna :)
[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: donna2933 ]

donna2933

BurnNSpy
I have been adding the Kalkwasser every day since Sunday and the PH only went up a little Sunday, however, every day since it has not gone up any. Do I need to continue adding the Kalwasser or do I need to try a different test kit. I am using Salifert and it still says 8.0. Alkalinity level is still high and I can't understand why the PH want go up.

burnnspy

Kalkwasser is needed evertime you add makeup water to your tank. Don't panic, just let the tank go for now and keep an eye on pH. It shouldn't get any lower and 8.0 is okay for your livestock.
BurnNSpy

donna2933

BurnNSpy
Why is the PH not going up? If I just use the Kalkwasser in make-up water, will it ever be higher than 8.0? So I don't need to add any extra Kalkwasser to the water and only use it in make-up water, correct?
Thanks
Donna :)

burnnspy

Your alkalinity may be buffering the ph from going up, not sure. I would just wait and be patient, its not a crisis yet.
Do not add Kalk to the water except as makeup when needed.
BurnNSpy

ironreef

if your alk is good don't worry about ph. How are you checking ph? Monitor? Monitor is more accurate. alk is the backbone. Keep alk in check the tank will remain stable. maintain alk,cal and ph they go hand in hand. If your corals look good don't chase ###'s

donna2933

IronReef
I use a regular test kit to check the PH and I am using Salifert. Alkalinity and calcium levels are greats just low PH.
The corals look good and nothing seems to be under stress so I will do as you and BurnNSpy, recommended " Don't worry about it".
Thanks to both of you! ;)

ironreef

chasing # will drive you crazy cal. test are 40 +/- accurate. ph the color is what you see alk test are a little more accurate but cal and ph revolve around alk so good alk and cal. ph is still around 8 = all good corals say so. My ph goes from 7.8-8.5 through out the day on my monitor alk remaims stable 3.5-4 meg cal400+ corals say good