Cant keep corals even for a second?

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/384358/cant-keep-corals-even-for-a-second/20#post_3367995
I think I got it. You are using water that is from the San Diego area, but you need to replicate waters from a different area. The mineral content will most likely not be what is required for your corals. I would get some good calcium and alkalinity test kits and go from there.
http://www.sdreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=126646d8f8665deb0a555cfac6ab5335&t=11201&page=2
Seriously, read the link. I think this explains it.

D

dm 0620

well what about the fact that my dad and the store i get it from do the same thing
a 20% water change every one to two weeks and they have success
its gotta be a consistant chemical problem but i cannot figure it out
im gonna try to take it to get a professional test done
also that link led to some kinda realestate site

D

dm 0620

i use tap water but i do a dechlorinater like marine stress coat. this is also what my dad friend and store do with great success.
i built the light canopy it has some water splashed on it and is growing maybe some mold. none of it touches the water but could that have anything to do with it you think?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm 0620 http:///forum/thread/384358/cant-keep-corals-even-for-a-second/40#post_3368605
i use tap water but i do a dechlorinater like marine stress coat. this is also what my dad friend and store do with great success.
i built the light canopy it has some water splashed on it and is growing maybe some mold. none of it touches the water but could that have anything to do with it you think?
Tap water is full of crap your tank does not need, like fluoride. Go to Walmart and get some RO water for around 37 cents a gallon. Just my .02

D

dm 0620

so if i wanna use synthetic salt water which is best.
also is this really a big enough issuse to cause coral death immediately

D

dm 0620

i had a fish tank cleaner come by today to check out the tank
he said my ph is to low i had it at 7.8 he said to buffer it to 8.2 or 8.4
also i will check the alk tomorrow i will let you know how it goes

mkroher

I wouldn't add anything to the tank. Don't "buffer" anything.
Stop using tap water. That could be your problem right there. Buy an RO/DI unit. The cost of an RO/DI unit is nothing compared to the total cost of owning a reef tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm 0620 http:///forum/thread/384358/cant-keep-corals-even-for-a-second/40#post_3369252
i had a fish tank cleaner come by today to check out the tank
he said my ph is to low i had it at 7.8 he said to buffer it to 8.2 or 8.4
also i will check the alk tomorrow i will let you know how it goes

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm 0620 http:///forum/thread/384358/cant-keep-corals-even-for-a-second/40#post_3370269
whats an ro/di unit
It's a super water filter. When you go to Wal mart to get water...it's tap water that has been through 5 filters. The same unit on a smaller scale can be fit to any water line in your home. Do a Google search and see how many you have to choose from. Some have three filters, you want the 5 stage type and check to see what replacement filters will cost, some units are outrageous on what they charge in filters. So cheaper may not really be a bargain.

D

dm 0620

Okay I have a 3 stage one currently I can set that up now do I use that for evap replacement

D

dm 0620

i mean a 5 stage ill just have to hook it up and replace all filters

yannifish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///forum/thread/384358/cant-keep-corals-even-for-a-second/40#post_3370284
It's a super water filter. When you go to Wal mart to get water...it's tap water that has been through 5 filters. The same unit on a smaller scale can be fit to any water line in your home. Do a Google search and see how many you have to choose from. Some have three filters, you want the 5 stage type and check to see what replacement filters will cost, some units are outrageous on what they charge in filters. So cheaper may not really be a bargain.
Someone on here told me the other day that filters in RO/DI units are interchangeable between brands, so you wouldn't have to pay the high prices for a certain brand of filter. I could be completely wrong though, I have no experiences with RO/DI units. That just what someone told me.

D

dm 0620

i am seriously thinking of converting to a fish with live rock only tank.
i think its easier and much less of a headache
i also think there are alot of fish i wan to have but cant since they are not reef safe.
anyone wanna talk me out of it or tell me its a good idea go ahead

1guydude

do wat makes u feel comfortable i guess. If i was u i would throw my fish in ur dads tank and restart. Clean the mold off the hood and get a synthetic salt mix and start over just my 2 cents. Ill be buying an ro/di unit here in the near to far future cuz they are recommend by most people here on site. Wat u guys thinks about restarting??? Also u mentioned u had no coraline algae, this is prob because ur calcium and mag is depleted as gemmy said the actual ocean water losses its nutrients quickly. Check those 2 things out before u just go restarting....he can restart correct???
if u go with fowlr tank deff go predator tank cuz that would be awsome!!!!

1guydude

r u using live sand???
i noticed ur power bar dosent have a surge protector i would recommend one.

D

dm 0620

yeah i have a pretty nice sand bed. i had corals in it before and they were good but when restarted they just are not working out.
all power is 2 a surge maybe its just out of the photo

bannerboxer

I would also be interested to see what you calc, alk, and mag levels are at??? If your not getting coralline is HAS to be related to that, and could be playing the role with the corals as well.