Can't seem to fix ammonia

atlfish

Ok, in the last 4 weeks I have done numerous water changes in an attempt to get my levels under control. I have a 150 gal tank. Yesterday I changed out 30gals, two weeks before 15 gals, a week or so before that 15gal. The ammonia level always seem to be high. On a few occasions my nitrates where through the roof! What gives?
Whay can't I get these levels under control? My tank is a little over two years old. It's been empty (no fish) for quite some time now. All I have in there is a few turbo snails, a bunch of hermits and a scooter benny. I had a lawn mower but I think the crabs killed and eat him as there are no traces anywhere of him. Actually the last time I saw him I was pulling his tail out of one of the hermits shell as he was trying to drag him in. I managed to free him but never saw him again after that
poor guy! ANYWAY, somebody look a the pics (that is if they show up) and tell me something. I thought I had a pretty good handle on this thing but now Im not so sure.

renogaw

ehh, those test kits have consistantly been reported as inaccurate.
you most likely have no ammonia.

atlfish

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2597649
ehh, those test kits have consistantly been reported as inaccurate.
you most likely have no ammonia.
So how would know? I also get the water tested at my lfs and levels are high.

turningtim

Has the tank been cycled? How old is it? What do you have for bio-filtration? (LR?)
What is causing the AMN in the first place?

sepulatian

I use API kits myself. What is high? The color in the picture is dark. Look at them with natural light behind you. It is hard to tell, you will have to look for yourself. BTW, buy a refractometer. Hydrometers are terribly inaccurate. You said that your LFS tested the water. What were the readings?

notsonoob

You might have some sort of dead tissue in there causing all of this, but you it might be helpful to know your filtration methods as well.
You might be lacking in something there.
How much biofiltration do you have?
I doubly agree with the refractometer.

atlfish

I have about 70-80 pounds of LR might be more. I really don't think there is any dead tissue especially with all the crabs. All I know is that my LFS said that the levels were through the roof and I needed to do a major water change. I have'nt really had any problems with accuracy with my hydro yet. But I will get a refracto to be on the safe side. I held the test tubes up to all sort of light and still can't really tell. Once again. The Tank is two and some change years old! So cycling can't be the problem, can it? I'll take some more pics so you guys can see the tank and set up.

metweezer

I like API test kits myself. I don't know what the first picture signifies. I can't read what is on the white labels. Pic 3 shows 0 trites and possibly 0 trates as well. How long have you had your test kits? They may need replacing. I don't usually trust a LFS's advice. You should have more LR. 80 is not that much. You could probably use 100 lbs. more in a 120. Yeah, as stated above buy a refractometer. JMO.

camanuch

well next to the card it looks like amonia is 0 as well. in less thats phos. api test kits phos and ammonia look alike. but i think you ammonia is 0 at least through the pic. as well as your trites and trates.

prime311

It's hard to tell with a pic, but I think the ammonia looks like .4. What did the LFS say it was?