can't seem to get my coraline to spread???

azocean709

I have a 55 gallon, w/30 gallon fuge. w/ 15 lbs of LR and a 4 inch DSB. there is about 20lbs of LR with little splotches of growth, and 30 lbs of rock covered in at least 5 differant colors, It has been up and running for quite some time and i see no spreading, none on the glass, powerheads, Its not spreading to the live rock with minimal growth on it , Im kinda at a wonder here. I see tanks on here all the time with the glass and everything else totally covered to the point of having to constantly scrape it. Im running 2 , 175 watt ushio mogal MH, and 2 80 watt actinics, and 110 watt VHO over the fuge, I tested water yesterday using seachem and salifert drop tests, they are :
PH. 8.2
alk. 4 meg/L
calcium 430
mag. 1320
strontium. 10
trates 0
amm. 0
phos. .05
iodine, 4
everything seems to be in order with water quality, water is crystal clear also,
my lights , actinics come on 2 hours before the MH which they are on for 6 hours, then 2 more hours with the actinics.
Livestock include,
1 tomato clown
1 rose bubble tip anemone,
2 firefish,
1 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 camelback
1 brittle star
10 nassarius snails
15 turbo snails
20 blue leg hermits
5 red leg hermits
1 orange knuckle hermit,
1 orange linkia star,
CORALS,
big green leather finger,
purple shrooms
green zoos
brown zoos,
yellow gargonia
yellow polyps,
frogspawn,
green long tentical plate
bubble coral.
This tank has been up for almost 8 months.
Everything is doing good, Ive never had any problems with anything. Im just curious why my coraline isn't growing, or maybe a time frame of how long it takes to start to spread. 6 months, a year, two yrs? I don't know... I also have 4 power heads, 2 300 gph for flow, and 2 145 gph and a spraybar to agitate the top of the water, all together with pump in the fuge and all that i have a 22X turn over. any ideas would be helpful...thanks.

azocean709

this is the only pic I have at the time, I didn't have all the LR yet. but the ones that you can see color on are loaded, and it wont' go to the other ones...I even heard that you could rub with a tooth brush to help spread the spores...I tried that for 3 weeks straight 4 days a week..and nothing.

wax32

Coralline grows better under less lights. With MH it often takes a long time to grow.

huntoaks

Coraline loves blue (actinic) light and hates white light. That's why you often find it growing on the underside of rock.

azocean709

dont like the halides eh? hmmm that sucks...I just upgraded not to long ago.. lol thanks for the replies...I have noticed one little itsy start spot on one of them rocks with nothing on it....hopefully itll spread in time.

hurt

oralline grows better under less lights. With MH it often takes a long time to grow.
Ditto that! Your parameters look good, the only thing I could possibly nitpick about would be your phosphates. Phosphate will retard coraline growth.

T

the_fish

sorry to hijack, but is it true that coraline algae wont grow under high nitrates? thats what my lfs said but i have a hard time trusting them.

smoney

i have 2 urchins in my 50 gallon reef. They were bulldozers int the beginning, but now, they arent as much. They eat coraline, but I think it makes it spread alot in the tank. Because now, the coraline is everywhere. Urchins also eat glass algae and macro algae. I think they would be a good investment.

hurt

Will it grow good under PC's?
You bet ya! Coraline grows much better under moderate lighting-VHO, HO, PC. MH light seems to bleach it out. And as stated, coraline also seems to like blue light (actinics) better than white light (10k and lower). A few times I've left my apartment for the weekend, and I turned the MH off the timer, and only my VHO super actinics ran for 3 days. When I came back, coraline was everywhere.

jester805

Originally Posted by the_fish
sorry to hijack, but is it true that coraline algae wont grow under high nitrates? thats what my lfs said but i have a hard time trusting them.
I have the same problem with coraline not spreading. I'm glad that you mentioned the high nitrates because mine are around 40 ppm right now. I guess that's GOOD since they're down from 200 a month ago.

funkyman

Snails and hermits will help coraline migration. Most of my critters have coraline covered shells from rubbing up against the liverock. They in turn spread the spores around in their travels around the tank.

stsweene

start scraping your rocks everyday to let it spread. Try using one of the gimmick products, you might have success. RO/DI doesnt hurt. Dont clean the glass where you want the corraline to grow, ive found it grows better on dirty glass, guess it gives the spores something to attach to.

fogger

Originally Posted by stsweene
start scraping your rocks everyday to let it spread. Try using one of the gimmick products, you might have success. RO/DI doesnt hurt. Dont clean the glass where you want the corraline to grow, ive found it grows better on dirty glass, guess it gives the spores something to attach to.
what do you use to scrape the rocks with?