Can't Sleep at Night

gobygal

This thread isn't about an ID........I just am up late cuz my tank is AWESOME!! Not only are the fish wonderful during the day....but there is a whole other "alien" world that appears at night.....and it seems that every night I find a new species!!!!! I can't sleep cuz my tank has me in awe over the strange yet amazing creatures I find.......and I understand now what people mean when they say "addiction".
I live nowhere near an ocean..........so this is the closest I will get. I am so fascinated that I can't find words for it!!! Every ten minutes I find myself taking a flashlight and looking into the tank to see what is living in there and saying "What the heck IS THAT??".
I am very new to this hobby......and have been captivated by the strange beauty of this real foreign world.
It's weird....we can't breathe water............and the beings in our tank can't breathe air......How different our worlds are.........It's almost as if I have traveled to a different planet.
Sorry, but being so new, I had to say how much I have fallen in love with ocean life.......and having a marine tank has changed my life and opened my eyes. I had been missing so much!!
Oh yeah....and it's wonderful to find a place where people understand my craziness!!! I am up looking up hitchhikers constantly!!!

snakeblitz33

Welcome to this wonderful and fascinating hobby. Be prepared to empty your wallet in 5....4...3....
All kidding aside, It's one of the aspects that I really enjoy - night life. Having a display refugium on at night may be right up your alley. It's quite neat when you can find all kinds of "bugs" crawling everywhere on your macroalgae - and finding a home for all your bristle worms and other polychaets.

snakeblitz33

Oh, and I can't sleep at night much either. I worry too much and think of things over and over in my head that I can't really get out of my mind. Like late night chemistry homework and saltwater stuff... finances. LOL
Something else that might be up your alley is a coldwater non-photosynthetic aquarium... check a few of those tanks out to see what you think. :D

gobygal

LOL..... :) thank you for the suggestions!! We have saved all our receipts from everything and , yes.....we already spent a good chunk of money!!

ivasawajin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/394681/cant-sleep-at-night#post_3512951
Oh, and I can't sleep at night much either. I worry too much and think of things over and over in my head that I can't really get out of my mind. Like late night chemistry homework and saltwater stuff... finances. LOL
Something else that might be up your alley is a coldwater non-photosynthetic aquarium... check a few of those tanks out to see what you think. :D
your 1st sentence is 100% from my own acking heart

mr. limpid

Those look more like spirorbid worms or some other type of worm. they are good a filter feeder. They don't last long we keep our tanks to clean to keep them alive for long. Try using a red bulb in your flash lite dosn't scare off the critters as much.

S

saxman

Mr. Limpid mentioned the red flashlight, but you also may want to consider a moonlight...the ocean really isn't completely dark very often, and with the moonlight, you can just walk up and observe your tank whenever you like. The blue LED's are generally around 470 nm in wavelength, which is nearing UV, so they tend to make some of the colors pop even tho they're dim.
I like running a dawn/dusk cycle plus moonlights, so you basically have 3 tanks in one...a crepuscular setup, a daylight setup, and a moonlight setup.

gobygal

Thank you everyone! I don't think you guys saw the bi-valves.......that was what i meant....a lot of people are saying they might be a type of oyster.