Can't we all just get along

blender

I have a 55 gal tank with plenty of decorations. I also have 4 fish who can't seem to get along. It stesses me out just watching them so it must be stressing them out too. My Strawberry Gramma harasses the blue tailed damsel and yellow wrasse. My blue tailed damsel harasses my percula clown and the clown and wrasse are peaceful. So, I guess the problem fish are gramma and damsel.
Any suggestions.

mainejo1

Blender, I had some luck rearranging my live rock. (or whatever hiding spaces you have). My damsels in particular have their own "flats", and if anyone gets near them, they head-butt them out of the way. (It is actually so funny to watch, especially when the cleaner shrimp thinks they are asking to get cleaned!!) At any rate, if they get too pushy and are stressing the other fish out, I rearrange their hiding spots, and it tends to alter their attitudes. Good luck.

kris

I agree changing the scenery helps alot, it gives them something else to think about for awhile. (You should always do this when adding a new fish) But if you have to do this every couple of days, then get rid of one (or two)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Changing the scenery can help, but once they get used to things again, the agression can and often does return. Your best bet is prevention. Meaning, don't just get fish that you want; you need to consider their compatibility and aquirium behavior. Read up on the fish you want to put into your tank, and if your LFS is knowledgeable, get help from them regarding fish compatibility.