Carbon and Phosphate sponge in new tank?

tigershark

Is it safe to use these on a new tank? I've read that carbon takes out a lot of bad stuff but also good stuff in the water and it might be a problem when the tank is young. I've also read that phosphate will slow coralline growth and it is commonly in tap water, which I use in my tank. I would like to start using RO/DI water but my budget is really tight right now. At least Im using cold tap water and heating it up myself :D

nm reef

Personally I advise the periodic use of both carbon and phosphate sponge....I run a bag of each in my sump for 2-4 days about every three weeks. It can't hurt much of anything and it does polish up the water a bit.......but I'd be hesitant to leave them in all the time. I think they may actually release stuff back into the system if left too long...so I run mine for a few days then discard it until next time. Even in a new system it couldn't hurt...especially if you are using tap water.:cool:

ty@heidi

TigerShark, One bit of advice, make sure you use a high quality carbon, like Kent Marine Reef Carbon , cheep low quality carbon can leach phosphate into the water. I run a small filter on the back of my 125, where I put in carbon, and Seachem Phosgaurd, about everyother week. I use the small filter so I dont have to disturb the main filter that often. The best advice I can give is to use R/O water, If you cant afford the unit, you can usually buy it by the gallon. R/O can make a huge difference, you will thank yourself in the long run. Good Luck!!

tigershark

What else would I need to add to the water if I used R/O water? Some kind of trace mineral supplements I think but am not sure what yet. I currently add a buffer which also raises ALK and I add a calcium product that has magnesium and strontium sp? I believe and some reef plus which has some vitamins and trace elements. I think R/O water is stripped of everything right so I would need to add certain things back in.