Carbon dosing during the initial cycle?

snakeblitz33

Just a thought... what is the reason why many people don't carbon dose during the initial nitrogen cycle? I mean, it adds a source of carbon for which bacteria can "boom"... is the reason that the bacteria responsible for processing ammonia don't use carbon? Just some thoughts. I'm not going to start putting vodka in my tank to find out. I was wondering if someone knew some biology behind it.

pegasus

It's fuel for anaerobic bacteria that consumes nitrates. As far as I know, it does nothing for nitrosomonas and nitrobacter bacteria.

snakeblitz33

Its just for anaerobic bacteria? Hmm...

Ok, so if it is just for anaerobic bacteria, dosing a small amount of carbon should establish those colonies faster and in more quantity... then again, in the initial cycle there isn't much nitrate or phosphate to break down either.

I've heard of people starting biopellets since day one - and that's pretty much the only way they will add biopellets to a tank is if it has been used since day one.... Whats sup with that?

James7733

To me adding:D a carbon food source is okay as long as its dosed in the sump and the sump is disconected from the main tank. I will add an air stone to the main tank and keep the HOB refugium running. I will then test the nitrates every day and run a filter on the sump with carbon in it to help remove any impurities before turning the sumps flow to the main tank back on. Because I have three anemones and two cleaner shrimps which I know are all quite sensitive to sudden water perimeter changes I will run test on nitrates, phopates, pH from the sump Dailey while I dose sugar. I do not believe all the negative hype against feeding bacteria that lowers nitrates. In fact when I prove this works I will re hookup my four pump auto Doser and use my eight plug timer to shut down the sump and dose the sugar.

Last edited:

James7733

By the way. I should state I know the nitrate source. I have a 55 main tank with a 20 fluidized sump and a 15 HOB refugium that has 15 fish three anemones and two cleaner shrimps. What does this add up to. Simple over stocked. Even if my ammonia is zero. So since phopates are also zero and nitrates are 60 Im about to loose any fish just to lower the nitrates. Dosing sugar/carbon food is most certainly worth a try.