Carbon media?

fishtk75

Which carbaon grades works the best? What setup works the best to get the most out of the carbon? Is there a way to tell when it not working to replace it?

reefkprz

I don't know which one is best but I can tell you which one I use. I use black diamond carbon, not the most expensive out there not the cheapest. I run carbon one week out of four. before one of my large water changes that way I soak up as much as possible then dilute it even more with the water change, also so as not to absorb anything I might be adding during the water change. I place it so all the water that flows into my sump is forced to run through it(open topped bag the water falls down over it) The only draw back would be that by doing it this way any pods that get pulled down the overflow get removed with the carbon, but I consider it a negligible loss.

hatessushi

I use carbon about 1 week out of a month. Using it permanantly can be a chancy proposition since it is removing a lot from the water. The best way to use carbon is with a reactor which I am considering now.

xdave

Originally Posted by 1fast300z
I have mine under the drip tray. I removed all my bio-balls and have carbon media there instead.
That's the wrong end of the flow. You have your chemical filtration in the area specifically designed for biological filtration. Biological fitration will set up on the carbon and you will be removing it when you change the carbon.
Chemical filtration should be just before the water return. Place it so that all the water must flow through it.
Use boyds ChemiPure instead of plain carbon.

sleeri

I run carbon 24/7. I've never had any issues. I used to run it on the water entering my sump. I quit doing that becuase I felt it was trapping too much detrius. I now put it in a filter sock and set it in a high flow area in my sump.
It's sometimes difficult to tell when carbon isn't working. There's a very gradual change in water clarity when the carbon fails. You probably won't notice it until you change the carbon. Several hours after the change your water will suddenly look crystal clear. At least that's been my experience.
FYI...most sources (books/Articles/etc) seem to indicate that carbon loses it's effectiveness quite quickly. Apparently, it's necessary to change it quite often (weekly/bi-weekly). I'm no expert. That's just what I've read.
I can give you one fact that I know is 100% true... you'll find many, many different opinions on how to use carbon and which kind to use.

sluggo

I run carbon 24/7. I have a separate Magnum 350 canister filter with a media cartridge instead of a filter in it. The water flows through the canister and then through a UV sterilizer before going back to the tank.
Don

fishtk75

Thank you all for your help there is alot to think about.
What is there as how much to use go by the label or you have differant ways to how much for the size of system?