carbon!

bigarn

Originally Posted by shista
my filter has activated carbon in it shud i have it on 24/7?? or take the carbon out??
You'll get many different opinions on this and probably none are wrong. I run carbon 24/7 but many people do otherwise.

bigarn

Originally Posted by shista
why wouldent u run it 24/7 wats rong with it?
I find nothing wrong with it .. I've had great success running it 24/7, but like I said many people do otherwise. I think it's a matter of choice.

jamie814

Some carbons can release phospates (algea food) into the water overtime that is why it is so opinionated as to how long it should be left in it also absorbs small amounts of trace elemets. I use carbon 24/7 but use seachems seagel it is a reef carbon/phospate sponge so any phospates that are released should be absorbed.

airforceb2

I only run carbon one week a month. I don't see why you would waste your money on it if you don't need it.

rev

Originally Posted by airforceb2
I only run carbon one week a month. I don't see why you would waste your money on it if you don't need it.

same here! 1st week of every month.Then toss it.It does wonders for the water.Use a good brand as well.

reefnut

Originally Posted by airforceb2
Same here also... running carbon one week a month has worked fine for me for some time now... although I will run it more often if the tank is having problems... changing it out weekly.

murph145

i run carbon 24/7
i have a 100 gallon reef and i have 2 fluval 404's and i run chemi-pure carbon its some of the best stuff out there one bag does 50 gallons and they say will last up to 3 months guarenteed.... i run 4 bags 2 in each fluval and change them out every 4-6 weeks and i never have a problem with my water quality

airforceb2

I'll have to check them out because from what I have read, it is chemically impossible for carbon to last any more than a couple weeks in a salt tank.

reefnut

From what I understand carbon is pretty much used up with in a few days and with in a week does nothing more than a mechanical filter would.

viper_930

It's just my opinion that if you use carbon then run it 24/7. If not all the time, then don't use it at all. The rapid decrease of yellowing in the water after adding carbon can cause corals (SPS in particular) to bleach because of the change in light.

airforceb2

Originally Posted by bigarn
You'll get many different opinions on this and probably none are wrong. I run carbon 24/7 but many people do otherwise.

As Bigarn stated...you will get many different opinions. Both are backed by logical thinking.

murph145

i run carbon 24/7 in my tank and i have sps and none of them bleach actually all of them are very colorful... so im not sure what exactly carbons side effects are because everyone has different views on its effect i guess its all a matter of what works for everyone else...
:jumping: :happyfish