carbon

belizeanlv

do u still need carbon if u have alot of lr?the carbon i bought says phosphate freeandyet i need that for my lr,what do i do?if i use carbon,how much?can anyone help?

hatessushi

LR and carbon to not replace each other. They both do different things. The carbon will remove impurities from the water. It will take out good stuff and bad stuff. It won't remove phosphates. Just because the carbon says it doesn't contain phosphates doesn't mean it will remove them from the water. In fact it is a misnomer since all carbon does contain some degree of phosphates.
Carbon will help make your water clearer. some people use it all the time and some use it maybe a week or 2 out of a month. People just use it differently. I run carbon in my filter for about 1 week a month.

aztec reef

well do you have a protein skimmer?if not then you should defenatly use it. i use once a month to crystalize the water for about a week. but i have a protein skimmer lr,ls,. it all depends if your set up handles the bioload.

X

xrobbx03

Running Carbon every month or so is always a good Idea. Keeps the water nice and clean. I have used a bunch of different carbons in the past and IMO Kent Marines Reef Carbon is one of the best.
In combination with a good skimmer, plenty of LR and running carbon keeps your tank nice and clean. You dont have to run it constantly in your tank just every month for a week or so, or however you feel it is needed. Some people chose run carbon and some dont at all. I personally run it all the time changing it out every 2 weeks, it keeps my water nice and clear.

fishy head

how much do you put in the tank,,,and where do you put it, i have always put mine where my pump is ia,,,is that ok

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
i put it in my hob filter which i normally use for water flow. as much as i can fit in tray.
I do the same i run a aqua clear filter that I use to run media. There are directions when it comes to how much you should add to your tank. I always put more than what is recommended. You can usually judge by how dirty your water is by how much you should use. If its a little on the cloudy side, you might want to use a lil more. If its fairly clean i would stick to around the recommended amount for your size take, but everyone has their own opinions on how much you should use, you will get to know your tank and you will be able to tell how much you need.

lazypinoy

yeah carbon use it good but it should be used like 1 a month for like a week-2 in my opinion.i use carbon to clear up the water a lil and put some in my skimmer cup to kill off the smell.

hatessushi

Originally Posted by xrobbx03
Running Carbon every month or so is always a good Idea. Keeps the water nice and clean. I have used a bunch of different carbons in the past and IMO Kent Marines Reef Carbon is one of the best.
In combination with a good skimmer, plenty of LR and running carbon keeps your tank nice and clean. You dont have to run it constantly in your tank just every month for a week or so, or however you feel it is needed. Some people chose run carbon and some dont at all. I personally run it all the time changing it out every 2 weeks, it keeps my water nice and clear.
Agree!

X

xrobbx03

Originally Posted by moose2020
i run chemipure and change it every 6 months it works great for over 2 years now
Even though something is said to be good for that long, IMO i wouldnt leave it in there like that. I would change it out more often.

belizeanlv

thanks everyone,i think im goin to go wit the once a month thing cuzz my tank is crystal clear as if i have some carbon in there!my lr and ls is doin its job

ocellaris_keeper

I'm a Chemi-Pure Believer!! My tank was turning yellowish because I over stocked it and I tried a couple of techniques until I ran into Chemi-Pure.
I bought a cheap 20.00 filter and put the Chemi-Pure in and over night the tank was clean. I replace the carbon bag every 6 months and the tank is crystal clear.

J

jupoc911

if you plan on keeping a mixed reef (softies, LPS, and SPS) I would highly recomened changing carbon ever couple of weeks.

daninct

I run a fluval 403 for water flow and the carbon. I cange it out at least once a month or sooner if I mucked around the tank and disturbed stuff. I rely on the LR and LS to do their thing and so far nitrates and phosphates have been very manageable.

belizeanlv

thanks everyone,i use my cardon for about a week out of a month and my tank is doin alot better.here are some pics,hope u like!