Care to be my double checker?

pledosophy

SO I've been out of seahorses for a bit over a year now, had a few deals go bad, never received horses. I'm getting two female barbs in the morning.
I have my QT setup. It's a 20g long, 10g sump, 24w UV, Remora Protein Skimmer, plastic chain hitches, taxifloria, all bare bottom. Heater set to 69F. Return pump is a MJ 1200 so about 10x tank volume turn over per hour. Using a clip on lamp, nothing fancy just a QT tank, thought about using my spare T5's but decided not to.
Took 20 lbs ish of LR out of two different refugiums. Took a cycled sponge out of two different tanks as well. Thinking tank should be able to handle the bioload with ease. Bottle of Amquel and 40g of freshly mixed salt water just in case.
Have a shell for a feeding dish. PE and Hikari Mysis in the freezer. Beta Glucan on the shelf. Turkey baster still works.
Did I forget anything? What did I miss?

zeke92

well i hate to be a bubble burster but generally unless your just planning on getting one seahorse, your gonna need to get like a 29g or larger. especially long tanks aren't too great because horses generally like taller tanks, or at least thats what everyone says. but otherwise i think you went above and beyond with water quality and everything.

pledosophy

Thanks for the feed back.
This is just the QT tank, not there final home. It's just to hold them after shipping and make sure they are healthy and eating before introducing them into the display.
Normally I would not keep seahorses in a 20g long, however these are only a few inches tall as it is, and I had the tank and stand. Most likely it will only be 5 or 6 weeks.
There final home is better suited for seahorses.

zeke92

yeah 69 is a bit cold unless he is just tryin to terminate every little parasite but i would suggest a few degrees higher. like 72-74.
wow thats just the QT? there spoiled o.o

rays862

I'm a believer in strong flow with "quiet" areas, but don't you think a 1200 to be bit strong Kevin? Is there much turbulence when you tested it? BTW, good luck with your new charges.

pledosophy

Originally Posted by zeke92
http:///forum/post/2569876
yeah 69 is a bit cold unless he is just tryin to terminate every little parasite but i would suggest a few degrees higher. like 72-74.
wow thats just the QT? there spoiled o.o
I was kind of planning on these seahorses being in not so great shape when I received them, based on the circumstances surrounding.
Turns out unfortunately I was right.
One of the two seahorses arrived dead. There clear evidence of snout rot and tail rot, classic signs of vibrio, and after 6 hours of being dead in a holding container, parasites starting coming out of her body and massive discoloration began on her trunk.
IMHO 69F is not to cold as this species lives in colder water in parts of the winter season.
I chose the temp specifically. In research by Dr Belli, Jeff Mitchell and numerous others who research vibrio population in the seafood industry, it has been found that the same strains of vibrio common in seahorses actually stop reproducing at temps under 69F.
If the temp is under 69F then the living seahorses immune system would only have to deal with the bacteria present in it's system and not have to fight off any new bacteria. I am assuming that since one of the two seahorses was infected with parasites and vibrio that the other seahorse who was kept with her also has been exposed to the same. At temps between 70-74F the vibrio bacteria can reproduce however it is a less virulent strain and actually releases different proteins then at temps 75F and above.
I plan on keeping the living seahorse at 69F for at least the next 6 weeks and treating for parasites with prazipro and fenbendazole while in the QT tank. Then raising the temp a degree a day until I hit 73F which is the final temp she will be kept at. I would go up to 74F but my chiller has a 1 degree flux so 73F will give me that room to make sure the seahorse is always in ideal water temp.
Ya I am a freak and my seahorses are spoiled. It's the least I could do. I love these guys so much. If I want to keep them I will give them the best care, even if I eat mac and cheese and they eat prime rib.
I have never read anything regarding temp and parasite reproduction. If you have any links I would be most appreciative if you could post them. I'm sincere. I love this stuff. After 8 years, of keeping, 4 of reading at least an hour or two a day some days way more, i now know enough to know I know nothing at all.

I'm a believer in strong flow with "quiet" areas, but don't you think a 1200 to be bit strong Kevin? Is there much turbulence when you tested it? BTW, good luck with your new charges.
The MJ 1200 is the return pump from the sump. It is not in the tank. In a tank that size I think it would be way to much in normal use. But as a return pump I'm getting less then 200 gph and I broke that up with loc line into two flare nozzles. Both of the returns are on the far right side of the tank and even with the water line. The chains in the tank do not even move. I put one in my reef, it laid on it's side. I also have siphon breaks in the loc line which take some of the flow away as well. IME the flow from the MJ 1200 after being pumped up 4 feet, then being split with loc line into two flare nozzles, each having syphon hole might not be enough flow, but it works for a QT.
I am also doing a 5g water change every day. I suck out all the extra food and detritus before it can decay. Then replace it with 5g of water from my reef. I put the new water into the reef. The reef water is pretty perfect but the seahorse QT does not need the same trace elements as the reef, and well the reef will love a 5g change a day. I spoil all my tanks. We don't even want to get into what I do for my dog. Happy animals makes me happy. It's my nature, I don't have kids so I spoil my dog and fish.

rays862

Sorry to hear they came in such bad shape, good luck with the remaining one, sorry I missed the part about 1200 being the return.

I'm sorry your horse passed kevin.I was reading your thread on the org and wanted to to say sorry , know how it feels, was hoping she was just in shock.I agree with keeping horses at cooler temps , I think it makes them more active , healthier , better appetite etc.Best of luck with your healthy horse !! I know she'll be spoiled
so are mine