Caribbean LR

leheath

Does anyone have Caribbean LR and if so, how do you like it/dislike it compared to the more normal Fiji LR?
Also, what is the difference between 'pre-cured' and 'uncured' LR - they both still need to be cured at home according to the instructions... :notsure:
Thanks in advance
:happyfish

wakeskater

i believe i have Caribbean lr in my tank and after all the inverts took care of the alge i think that the rock looks great!

frozenice

Carribean LR is nicer IMO. DO NOT BUY UNCURED LR. Only buy rock that is already cured. The pre-cured will cure itself if you are still cycling your tank.

ty_05_f

I ordered my carribean LR online which makes up half the rock in my tank the other half is marshall island and fiji. I personally like marshall island the best because it is more porous and looks cooler. The caribbean is not very porous and is pretty flat for the most part which can make some interesting shelves and things for corals to stay on. So I guess it really depends on personal taste.
Also if you are ordering online don't buy the cured or precured live rock because it is more expensive and more die off will occur during the shipping, but don't forget to cure it before placing it in the display tank. If this is a new tank with no livestock add it directly to the tank and it will start your cycle.

tenseman

Mine is colored very nicely also.
The uncured is cheaper and is not any more trouble than the cured minus a little more brushing between water changes maybe.
I would never put it straight in the tank though myself because if there is very much die off you can smell up your house pretty good.
The first water change on mine curing was very nasty and the smell was terrible
Mine was uncured and has been curing for 2 weeks in a 35g can in the basment. I have done 4 100% water changes with the last one being Tuesday night and it looks like all the smell has gone and the readings are staying gone this time so it should be about ready for the tank.
I am leaving till next Friday to be sure.

nvmycj

OK guys, AND gals,......
Now I'm all confused again,.........(big surprise right?!?!) .:confused:
What is the difference between LR that is un-cured, pre-cured, and cured? Does the rock look different in each of those stages?
With not knowing what kind of LR I'm getting from my LFS, does is matter what kind (un-cured, pre-cured or cured) of LR it is if I'm just starting up my tank? Will it effect my cycle? I've read in other threads that when your tank is cycling, you are not to do water changes. And, here I'm reading that you have to do water changes, because your cycle can get out of wack.
Final question,........I didn't know you were supposed to brush your LR during water changes? What are you brushing off?
Thanks guys........and gals.

ty_05_f

If you are getting the live rock from your lfs it is most likely cured. Cured means that you won't have any more die-off.

leheath

Thanks everyone for their advice. I think I will probably go with uncured instead of pre-cured to set up my new tank as it is so much cheaper if I am going to get die off anyway. The only concern I have is smell - I don' t have a basement here in AZ and it is too hot outside, so it will have to be inside in the tank....just how bad will the smell be and is there any way to minimize it (other than buying cured rock!)? :notsure:

tenseman

There is no way I would try and do uncured inside the house, you will regret it.
When I started mine in the basment in the 35gallon can with the lid covering it you could still smell it and at the end of the first week with two 100% water changes and brushing in between it still smelled very bad.
NVMYCJ< The brushings are to brush off any stuff that has died off (sponges, worms, corals, etc.)which will help speed the curing. Just a good cleaning in other words.

leheath

:notsure: Now I am worried about the smell....even though I am the only person in the house. Is pre-cured rock any better with regards to the smell?