carnations

mscarpena

Lets see a picture of the carnation coral. They are usually practically impossible to keep. Also let us know what you are doing to keep it alive. Also if you do frag it and it is a real carnation I would love a frag of it. Please post pic here and send me one with a price of the frag to mscarpena@msn.com. I am no expert, but it is a soft coral so I would say that you would cut it with a razor blade. I am not 100% certain on it. Post a pic and we can probably help more. Also how long have you had it and how fast has it grown

fuz_munky

k i got it from SWF.com so im pretty sure it is what it is
ill have a pic in a few minutes camera's battery died

heres when i first got it. . . the 12 of March i believe

he wasn't looking to happy for a while until i put a pump (koralia nano) directly on him, it only needs low lighting so he's perfect for my 29 biocube!( it's been up for a year and a half so dont freak out on me!)
ive been studying on the internet on what to feed him, and finally found that they eat baby brine shrimp. i'll definatley be taking a trip to my LFS today!

mscarpena

That is a carnation coral and it does look good(for now). I hope it keeps it up. I think the growth you are seeing is just that the coral was not opened up then once you put the pump on it and started feeding it it opened up. 2" of growth in that short of time seems highly unlikely. Also not to burst your bubble or anything, but it usually take 6-9 months for these guys to die. They ususally slowly starve to death. They need to be fed many times per day and most likely in a 29 gallon it will either be keep the carnation alive or kill everything else. Keep us all posted though. They are beautiful corals, but 99% of them die in captivity due to there high feeding requirements.

mx#28

I agree with the post above. It hasn't grown 2 inches since the 12th of March. I don't want to rain on your parade, but these corals require very special care related to feeding. They are totaly non-photosynthetic.
You'll get conflicting information with the baby brine. I've heard a few sources say that dendronepthyas and scleronepthyas are huge consumers of baby brine, but other sources say that that that meal is far to large and - although ingested, the brine are not digested. You can try, but even if the carnation tree eats, it will require near constant availability of prey.
Google the following to see and read about a succesful azooxanthellate setup that includes healthy and growing carnation trees.
"reefkeeping azooxanthellate matthews" - click on the first result.

fuz_munky

sorry i lost track of this thread
heres a pic of it 3 weeks ago

here it is this morning, its mor of a red orange than it appears in the pic

acroshark

honestly i would frag it right now! let grow and fill out a bit more! but thats just me! if u do frag it cut off a branch with a blade or scissors and rubberband it to some LR rubble for a week or 2!

mscarpena

I would not frag it for a year or until it doubles in size that it is right now. It does look healthy, but thats for now. Keep doing what your doing and feed it some phytoplankton a few times per week as well. See what happend from there. Good luck.

mx#28

Did you google "reefkeeping azooxanthellate matthews" as I suggested above?
He's keeping carnations using a mixture of shellfish food and rotifers. Check out the article for the ratios and amounts.

stonyreef

Honestly, your dendro doesn't look good at all. It's not inflated and its polyps are very retracted. What are you trying to feed it? Do you have enough flow? They require a lot of food, and a lot of flow.
Not feeding / deflated

Out and feeding, notice the difference in polyp expansion

The article suggestion above is good - Stottlemire's tank is awesome. I also feed rotifers, as well as a mix based on danny dame's 'recipe' and get a very good feeding response. Here's info on the recipe / mix I'm using, hope it helps. It's a mix of artificial coral mucus, amino acids, and a bunch of different foods for sea fans / non-photosynthetic coral, being fed usually 5 or 6 times a day. Good luck with your coral.