Caroline algea ?

snipe

Well I have been looking at live rock and base rock and I think I have a few rocks pouring out my ears! But my ? Is can you buy just the caroline algea and place it in your tank or on the base rock and let it grow. Or do you have to buy it on live rock. The reason I am asking is cause you can buy all kinds of algea for fresh and saltwater tanks so why not caroline? Also if you can buy it if I cant just get some from someone would this work?

joker_ca

if you buy some LR with good coraline aglea growth on it, it will spread to your dead rock that u want to use
you cant buy just coraline aglea

nas19320

Sure, you can get coraline scrapings from a fellow hobbyiest to seed your tank. Many times the glass of an established tank quickly becomes covered in coraline and it can be scraped off and given to other hobbyiests.

snipe

Thanks alot I will see if I can talk my dad into just getting some algea instead of some $7 a lb rock lol.

anenewbie

I know that there are a lot of factors but generally, does it take a long time to grow algae on dead rock? Months, Years? I read some good articles on the Garf.org page about designing your own rock and growing the coraline algae on it but that seems like it would take a long time.

moray345

Hey i just got some from bang and all i had to pay was 8 dollars for shipping and handling
HTH,
Moray345

pontius

if you have rock with coralline on top of base rock, you can "brush" the live rock and get the "dust" from the coralline stirred up and it will float to your base rock.

anenewbie

Thanks that is great advice Pontius. That would certainly save a lot of money on buying all premium rock for the tank.

snipe

I knew that you could do that but what do you scrub it with? Also I was just wondering on buying algea only if you can find someone it would be 10 times cheaper that way!

nas19320

Originally posted by Snipe
I knew that you could do that but what do you scrub it with? !

Toothbrush. It supposedly releases the spores, but be careful what you wish for.

snipe

So I guess you dont want to brush to mutch to fast? I want to still be able to see in the tank " I think I see something! HOLY Crap :scared: !!!!!!! just my reflection." :D . what if I scrubed a small spot "diffrent spot every time" every week or so. would speed up the normal growth but slow down on taking over my intire tank?

ndtechie05

i use that coral-vital stuff in the blue bottle everyday and in 2 weeks all my rocks are covered in really deep purple coraline algae, ill try and take some pics tomorrow and post them here

snipe

Well if anyone has some algea they are gonna scrape off the glass and throw away If you wanna give it to me I would take it or I would buy it instead. I will also pay shipping.

obarrera

Originally posted by ndtechie05
i use that coral-vital stuff in the blue bottle everyday and in 2 weeks all my rocks are covered in really deep purple coraline algae, ill try and take some pics tomorrow and post them here

Damn I use that too and I see no diffrence with my corraline growth.

snipe

I am going to buy live rock of course I was just looking for a way to speed the process up. I have found a couple. I am going to buy live rock and base rock this weekend. And a guy "kinda" close to me is going to give me some shells with algea on it and he is going to send me some of his live sand also.

anenewbie

I have been using c-balance by two little fishes but it is too early to tell if it is working. Has anyone every used this? If so where you happy with it?