Carpet Anemone is eating my fish!!! Help!!!

perk3211

Our Blue Carpet Anemone has eaten2 fish, a ylemon peel and a sailfin tang. We hand feed it 2x a week, any thoughts?

perk3211

a chunk of frozen shrimp... its probably 8-9 in in diameter... thinking of finding it a new home. The kids can't take any more murders in the tank, thankfully they have not witnessed the horror of it all!!!

blemmy_guy

I have a Green Carpet, thats about the size of a diner plate, I feed him a Whole raw shrimp every 3 days, with some other smaller meaty stuff in between. Hes never eaten anything from my tank. Im very sory to hear about whats happening, there a beautifull thing, the Blue Carpets. Best wishes and good luck
Todd

vanos

Originally Posted by perk3211
Our Blue Carpet Anemone has eaten2 fish, a ylemon peel and a sailfin tang. We hand feed it 2x a week, any thoughts?
What lfs do you shop at in MA? I'm in Boston and the only decent one I go to is Skiptons.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by perk3211
Yep, thats what carpet anemones do! They are sticky, aggressive, and they can and will eat your fish. Your not likely to change its behavior either.
Any questions?
Thomas

perk3211

Vanos, have gone to Eamons in Simsbury CT and have been to AquaDreams in Agawam MA. AD sold us the carpet but never said it was a murderer. NEVER would have gotten it!!!

jmick

You really should have researched the animal before you bought it. Never rely on your LFS as your only source of information.

motohead

like thomas said,it is not a murderer.that is what anemones do.they capture and eat fish.end of story.this reminds me of posts that i have seen that say they bought a volitans lion and do not understand where their shrimps and cute little clowns are disappearing to.you would be well advised to read on the computer or books as to the animals you want in your tank.anemones are a pain in the ass anyway,get rid of it.

perk3211

Thanks for the advice. As my mother used to say "Hindsight is 20/20". Any ideas on horw to get it out? Like some things, I gotta a feeling getting it out isn't gonna be as easy as getting it in!!! :thinking:

pbienkiewi

what is it attatched too ??? the bottom glass or a rock ? hopefully a rock. Take the rock out for a few minutes. Then put it back in. He should let go. Be careful not to bet stung

pitbull01

If you wanna get it out the best way to do it is to just take out the whole piece of live rock that it is on and if that is out of the question take it out of the water on the rock and carefully get the foot off the rock.

perk3211

not sure, either the glass bottom or a rock......he is in front of the rock, I'm guessing gloves are in order? this sounds like a job for my husband!

pbienkiewi

my carpet is on the gravel attatched to the glass. If he is on the glass or rock try aiming a power head at him and see if he losens his footing.

pitbull01

That will just piss him off and make him go behind the rockwork to get away from it!! Trust me, I know. My friend was in the same situation and we tried that and just PLEASE DONT DO IT!! Then you'll have to rip apart your rockwork-as we did- to get that dumb thing out of your tank. But, yes with a carpet, I do recommend gloves.

chad24

I will by your blue carpet. My clarkii pair needs a carpet. Do you want to sell it? Live in Ohio. Let me know.

perk3211

Whats the going rate for blue carpets these days? I know we paid too much for it at our lfs..... When completely open it is the size of a salad blate and bright blue. its very pretty!!