Cascade Canister Filter

lcaldwell85

Hey guys,
I just had a quick question about my canister filter. I'm having a bit of a diatom issue in the tank right now, and I think it's a flow issue. (aside from the silicates in the sand, etc... I think if I had something stronger to blow everything around a bit then it couldn't settle as easy and the filtration would pull it out.) It's a 1500 gph filtration system running a 72 gallon tank. I have ten blue legged hermits, and several turbo snails given to me by a friend. Thus far they've been able to keep it in check after the initial diatom bloom, but I introducted a new decoration to the aquarium. I'm not sure if that caused the silicate spike or what, because it is plastic. (An anemone for my "nemo" until I can upgrade lighting to get the poor thing a real one. LOL.) My question is this.... I was messing around with the filter "drip bar" last night to see if I could get the flow to change until my powerheads arrive (on thursday), and when I immersed it completely (barely beneath the surface) it started to really clean up the rocks. The filter was sucking out the diatom and after a couple of hours the water started to take on an incredibly clear quality that thus far my tank has completely lacked. Is this drip bar supposed to be under water and I'm a total idiot? LOL. I've also noticed on a lot of youtube videos ect. that there appears to be very little flow to people's tanks. I'm sure it's there but the water appears to be still and very clear. With the drip bar above the water it creates a bubble effect in the tank that isn't really desirable.... This is the first time my tank has looked comparable to those I see from other aquarists. But with the drip bar beneath the surface is it still oxygenating the water? Will the salt water corrode the plastic piping after prolonged exposure? Also, I noticed my two peppermint shrimp were flying around the tank like crazy. Not like they were being blown, but like there was enough flow for them to swim in it. They still stood on the bottom when they wanted to, but it seemed they were playing in the current at times. None of the fish seemed bothered by the change in the current, but it is rather blasting my green star polyps... Any info anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

flower

Hi,
The power heads do the same thing....a spray bar attachment (fluval fits) will also help move the surface water. The bar can also be set vertically to move the water across the rocks. I had a cascade for ages and used the fluval bar. in both positions...it works great.

lcaldwell85

Great! Thanks for the quick response! So it is okay to position the full spray bar under water, and doesn't hurt the oxygen in the water?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaldwell85 http:///t/390980/cascade-canister-filter#post_3465142
Great! Thanks for the quick response! So it is okay to position the full spray bar under water, and doesn't hurt the oxygen in the water?
Not a bit...I used to have mine totally vertical in the water. The spray is not oxygen....it is just water that has gone thru the filters to clean it up. The oxygen in the water comes from the surface...that's why in a saltwater tank we want the top of the water to almost look like it is boiling. A spraybar at the surface moves the water there to will free up your power head to create a current in the deeper areas of the tank.
The current has a different function, it moves stuff off the rocks and keeps it suspended so the filter can remove it...it also feeds the corals. Since corals don't move...the current of the ocean brings the water loaded with food to them, your power heads are your "ocean waves".

lcaldwell85

Thanks for all the helpful information Flower! Are you also new to the hobby or do you moonlight this forum to help out all of us noobs? LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaldwell85 http:///t/390980/cascade-canister-filter#post_3465309
Thanks for all the helpful information Flower! Are you also new to the hobby or do you moonlight this forum to help out all of us noobs? LOL
LOL...I'm not new, I've kept fish all my life, before I had my own tanks...my parents kept them. I am new to saltwater compared to the folks on this site, and I have learned so much since joining. When I started out we didn't have internet and forums like this...what a blessing to be able to get on line and talk to so many with the same interest. Folks who are brave enough for saltwater tanks are few and far between around by me.
I'm retired (disabled) now, and this site and my fishtanks are my company. That's why I can hang around all day. I eat, watch a little TV...do tank stuff ....and check back to see if there is anything interesting to talk about on the forum.

lcaldwell85

I have kind of a lax work environment when it's not busy, so I kind of keep this minimized at the bottom of my screen and check in when I can. Well, the powerhead arrived yesterday and it seems to be -more- than ample for the tank. In fact when I turn it up on high it totally blasts the water. I mean hard enough to knock over my "anemone". Nemo seems to love it, and he's just flying all over the place in the waves. I've got it running on low right now, but I'm pleased to report that the top of the tank is now resembling soft waves! I'm just not sure if it's ample enough flow for the bottom. The star polyp corals are flowing whereas before they barely moved. Is there a suggestion you would have on how to maybe determine if I'm getting the appropriate flow? I've always kept tanks too. at least since I've been about thirteen or so, but only fresh water. This is my first attempt at salt, but all my levels check out well. The only thing I noticed last night is my nitrate is at ten ppm. I will do a big water change when I get home tonight to try to remedy that.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaldwell85 http:///t/390980/cascade-canister-filter#post_3465472
I have kind of a lax work environment when it's not busy, so I kind of keep this minimized at the bottom of my screen and check in when I can. Well, the powerhead arrived yesterday and it seems to be -more- than ample for the tank. In fact when I turn it up on high it totally blasts the water. I mean hard enough to knock over my "anemone". Nemo seems to love it, and he's just flying all over the place in the waves. I've got it running on low right now, but I'm pleased to report that the top of the tank is now resembling soft waves! I'm just not sure if it's ample enough flow for the bottom. The star polyp corals are flowing whereas before they barely moved. Is there a suggestion you would have on how to maybe determine if I'm getting the appropriate flow? I've always kept tanks too. at least since I've been about thirteen or so, but only fresh water. This is my first attempt at salt, but all my levels check out well. The only thing I noticed last night is my nitrate is at ten ppm. I will do a big water change when I get home tonight to try to remedy that.
Yes, me as well...freshwater fish for many years. I have lost when I started saltwater. I do remember we had just learned about computers (DOS) not Windows. It was at my house in Elkhorn where I lived for 8 years, and I have been in this house for 3 years and in my Mothers home for 2 before I moved to this place...??? Well I can say at least 10 yrs...I think..LOL
All areas of the tank needs flow...not all areas however need the same flow. Some areas of the tank will have a strong current, and some a very soft one. You have to arrange the power heads or the corals. Mushrooms like a low flow, leathers like a strong flow to help them shed their skin. All the while having a good movement at the surface for gas exchange. That is why I recommended you get a spray bar...it will free up your power head to be used for something besides surface movement.
If your sun coral is not happy where it is now...you either must move it, or readjust the PH.
You can take a stick and attach a plastic ribbon to it, and move it around in the tank...if the ribbon drops to nothing...you have a dead spot that needs flow...adjust the power head.
Hope this helps.