casting a line out, see what kind of bits I get

mandarin w

I recently aquired a 180gal RR tank, Now the land lord says I can't set up a tank that size in my second floor apt. I can only go up to a 135 gal. So I was wondering if any one has a 135 gal RR they might want to trade even up for. I can't give you a lot of info about this tank because I never got a chance to set it up. But I did see it set up three months ago.
TANK is a 180 gal oceanic all glass 72x24x24
STAND I just finished refinishing it- Golden oak with new hardward, painted inside with black enamal paint to protect wood from moisture damage.
All of the following came with the tank but I took it to my LFS to have check out to make sure it is in good working order. I haven't heard back from him yet. When he gets a chance (You know how that goes)
3x175 MH w/ 96 actic bulbs
deionizer
sump set up
some kind of canister filter
some kind of pump
lifereef pump timer
protien skimmer that was built into the sump
heater that was in sump
I think that is it , Sorry I can't give more detail on the items, But I got the system a week ago friday and brought the tank upstairs and all the other stuff to the LFS to get checked out and so he would know what I had so he would know what I would need (filter, bulbs, you know stuff like that.)
Like I said I am wondering if anyone who has a 135 system and might be wanting to upgrade to a bigger system might be interested. I would like a GLASS RR with pretty much the same type set up.
I 'm located in the Metro St. Louis area, If you would like to consider a deal please let me know.
NOTE; I do not have a truck to bring it to you, so you would need to bring yours and take mine. (I guess that would pay for the value difference in the tanks.
:jumping: :jumping:

bigb

I have a 125 I might trade you. Tank and stand for tank and stand. You could keep all your equipment. It is 72x18x20, it is not reef ready though.

sou812

just wondering what r your landlords concerns? r u in a apartment? could u tell him u made a trade or is he going get 5 gal. buckets of water and fill it 4 u?

mandarin w

he is afraid the weight of the tank would put it thur the floor. As I told him The family that lives in the apt at the other end of the building all five of them are well over 300 lbs. Hell if you get three or four of them sitting on the couch watching tv. that will weight more than this tank. I don't see him making them trade two or more of their kids for smaller sized kids. I even show him on the tank calculator that filled the weighs 1440lbs. not no 2000 plus like he thinks. But he gets what he wants.

sou812

if u r on the firsr floor u can shore up the joises in the basement fairly easaly. Also your tank if salt water will be more like 1800# water and tank. plus any live rock per pound. Buyt like I said if on the 1st floor all u need is a 4x4 and 2 adjustable floor jacks.

P

pagliacci

Originally Posted by SOU812
if u r on the firsr floor u can shore up the joises in the basement fairly easaly. Also your tank if salt water will be more like 1800# water and tank. plus any live rock per pound. Buyt like I said if on the 1st floor all u need is a 4x4 and 2 adjustable floor jacks.
Sorry but he stated he is on the second floor, and with water weighing around 9 lbs a gallon plus a tank weighing in at over 300 lbs, then you add sand, rocks, a sump plus water, and equipment you are easily going to tip over 2000 lbs. Not knowing the floor structure I would be real leary of going anything over a 75 gal tank.

mandarin w

well, I finished the stand. and got some pic's of the process. now the only camera i have is my phone. so they are the greatest pics they do the tank justice. And as far as size goes. I may be will to go 90 or 110 RR. But I do prefer a deeper tank. And be fair, It should be a very nice tank in very good shape. If you want to trade tank for tank that would be ok. but some equipment would be nice. tank wise look what your getting, the tank itself is probley worth at least $1200.00 used. So you would be walking away a winner. Like I stated before if you want the equipment, you could have that too. But I don't know the shape it is in. Should be good But I don't know anything for sure, except the land lord said "NO 180 GAL"
Well tried to upload my pic's but it said some of them where to big. But if you have questions email me at mandarin_watcher@yahoo.com I could probly email them to you.

mandarin w

well i prefer RR, what is the size of the tank I kind of like the 48x what ever. As long as it has depth. I don't care for those tanks that are 6ft long but only 18in high and 18 in front to back. What type of equipment do you have with your tank, Would you be willing to maybe trade tank system for tank system. I want to be fair to you all and to me, I spent 1200.00 on this system plus what I spent after I got it. and don't get any thing to show for it. I at least want to have a nice system in the end, It doesn't have to be the rolls royce of systems. but I don't want to end up with the (you go). A nice trail blazzer will do If you all get my drift.
Oh yea, the pics you are seeing are last week when I got the tank last week. I refinished the stand this week so you see a more dark walnutish color, the stand is now more of a golden oak. I also put 2 coats of poly whatever thane to protect the finish. You can't have wood by water without protection!! And I painted the inside Black enamel oil base to protect the wood inside from the moisture buildup, as suggested by the local ACE hardware store. I also put new hindges because the salt creep got the best of the old brass ones. I think it looks sharp. Very proud of my finishing job. If you want to buy it out right. I figure $1100.00, I'll eat my loss as a learning lesson.

xumknown1

i have an 80 gallon bowfront that is about 22in depth, nice black stand, glass aqua. and a 55 gallon aqua. would be willing to trade if you would like, my email is www.jennifer_warsaw@yahoo.com. I live about an hour and half away and i have an avalanche to take the tank to you.

mandarin w

thanks for the response, I believe I emailed everyone if I didn't get one to you, it might have slipped thru. Try again. I will respond. to everyone. If you don't have a trade, and still might be interested, I will sell it for around $1100.00 (tank, stand and lights if you want them. I can not offer any thing else until the guy at my LFS has a chance to check it out. But still the tank stand are worth the 1100. alone. so if you are interested, post or email me at mandarin_watcher@yahoo.com

mandarin w

Just wanted to thank you all for you interest and replies. The property management had thier engineer come and look at the tank and the apt. Turns out that, that area of my living room is over the building water closet. and so I had two walls and four support beams running under the tank. the engineer said it is a go. Turns out that area will support over 5000lbs, So the letter from the land lord and property management said they look forward to seeing that tank set up this summer. :jumping:
:cheer: