Cat Shark scratch

jj_harrison

Ok my husband is over in iraq and we had to move his fish for the duration of his deployment.
we have a 5 month old cat shark we hatched in to a 120 gal tank with some damsels and thats about it. we moved him down to a 55gal with alot of live rock in there. the sand we have is realy really fine.
anyways he has been in this tank for 3 months and 1 month to go. he has developed a smal scratch on his tail and my husband is worred about him getting an infection.
I am new to this it kinda his thing so go easy on me i now that the tank is too small but its all we could move over. what should we be doing for him? we feed him crill 2 times a week and we had these shark qube's that we would feed him but i ran out. thank you for the help.

reeftank27

Not much you can do for him should heal up on it own just monitor it and make sure no one is picking on him.

sebae09

dose the tank with meliafix or premafix to aid the healing process, try feeding more maybe 3 or 4 times a week to help give his body the extra nutritients he will need to heal.

krj-1168

Well - sebae pretty much cover the best suggestion - i know off for taking care of the scratch.
You could also feed the shark - fresh raw fish, crab, or shrimp (just make sure it cut into small enough pieces for it to eat) from the LGS. Also make sure you add good vitamin supplements.
While most people may comment on that either a 55 gallon or 120 gallon tank is just too small for any shark. And that's the truth - for the long term.
But either tank will work fine as a pupping tank for the "cat shark" for a while. So long as the shark can easily turn around within the tank's width - it should be fine. Generally a standard 55 will work for about the 1st 6 months or so. While a standard 120 may work for about a 1 yr - 18 months - depending on the shark's growth rate.
Also you may consider removing some of the LR, to give the shark more swimming room. Or better still consider moving the shark back into the 120, and then move the damsels into the 55.

jj_harrison

ya i we know that its a small tank but it was all that i could move half way acrossed the state while he is deplyed which he gets back next month anyways so the shark will be moved back to the other tank while we work on getting a bigger one. thanks ill try all thouse things and see what happens. im sure that he will be fine hes not acting werid and he eating normal no problems so i think hell heel. thanks again