Catalina Aquarium Lights? T5

ds450x

Has anyone used Catalina Aquarium Lights? I was thinking about this setup. Its 6x54w with mood lights? All for $275 with 3 10k bulbs and 3 acrilic blue bulbs. Is this any good?

keebler

Originally Posted by ds450x
http:///forum/post/2777396
Has anyone used Catalina Aquarium Lights? I was thinking about this setup. Its 6x54w with mood lights? All for $275 with 3 10k bulbs and 3 acrilic blue bulbs. Is this any good?
I've had other catalina equipment and it was junk, but they specialize in lighting and the only light I've had from them is a refugium light. So actually that sounds pretty good, but wait for a second opinion and get on the catalina website and look for reviews.

flricordia

Figure this. About the same as Odyssea and I for one would buy and use those lighting units, over fish only tanks but not over a reef. Save a hundred bucks now and in a year or less wish you had spent the extra hundred for a quality ballast that preforms to the fullest and works the bulbs to their fullest.
Different ballasts create different light outputs, that's why the higher end units cost more than the cheaper ones.

ds450x

The catalina has moon lights in it also. So they wont be good for a basic and started reef tank? I know they have to be better then $300 PC's?
And whats a good retrofit 6x54w cost?

S

supernovabjt

I have the 6x39 unit with the remote, Ive had it up for about two months, so far it seems to be of high quality. The only things I would reccomend changing are the stock bulbs, the 10ks are really yellow, and the actinics are very purple-ish. The remote feature is really cool, one cord for all three systems (2t5/4t5/moon). I would have liked it to be 3t5/3t5/moon, but thats not a big deal. I got mine on e-bay for signifficantly less than their website. It is a very good light for the money, but could use some improvements.
Hope that helps.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2777413
Figure this. About the same as Odyssea and I for one would buy and use those lighting units, over fish only tanks but not over a reef. Save a hundred bucks now and in a year or less wish you had spent the extra hundred for a quality ballast that preforms to the fullest and works the bulbs to their fullest.
Different ballasts create different light outputs, that's why the higher end units cost more than the cheaper ones.
Catalina uses VERY frequently used and accessible Fulham workhorse ballast with 5yr warranty (better warranty than ice cap) so I dont know how you are comparing them to Odyssea's junk. Catalina's fixture quality is 10000x's better than Odyssea. They are good bulbs away from being decent fixtures much like current extreme pro's fixtures (minus the mass production details). some ballast (mainly ice cap)overdrive bulbs but with that extra output comes sacrifice in bulb longevity and heat. other than that a suitable reliable flourescent ballast is a suitable reliable flourescent ballast. TEK uses "major brand ballast" for their T5 and magnetic MH ballast (ie what ever name brand we feel best supplies are needs at the time which fulham would certainly fall under) and I dont see anybody raising any eyebrows about that. sure they are dirt cheap compared to ice cap and lack some features (dimmable) and probably some quality but lets not make a big deal over something thats not a big deal. ballast have never been and never will be that significant of a variable for flourescent lighting output. all they have to do is drive them to the wattage they are spec'd at and there isn't a thing wrong with the brand of ballast catalina uses. in fact there is nothing wrong with most catalina lighting products in general. many of their other products are just imported chinese junk (like odyssea) but their light fixtures and retro's have always been decent stuff.

wangotango

If you want a retrofit look at the Icecap. You don't necessarily need the IC ballast, a spec ballast like the Sylvania would work fine if the tank isn't too deep.
-Justin

ds450x

I ordered the Catalina 6x54w with moon lights off ---- for $250 shipped and normal price is well over $300 for them. They have 3 power cords and 3 switches. I went on tons of saltwater fish forums and lots of people are using them in 90 gal reef tanks with no problem and mine is only a 75 gallon so it will work fine. If I can buy anything american made over imported junk I do. They have a 5 yr warranty so there wont be any problem.