Catching a yellow tang

greymach

anyone have any tips or techniques to catch a yellow tang out of a 55 gallon. i just set up QT for treatment for black ich and now i cant catch him

What i did to catch my yellow tang and bird wrasse is, i went to home depot and bought some lighting crate, that white stuff for floresent lights, then i built a box out of it with one side having a swinging door. then i put fish string to the door and dropped it in the tank. i would put food in the back of it and they will gt used to it and go in. then just pull the door close. and wala u have ur fish. My bird wrasse took about a week or so though. he was smart as hell until i didnt feed him for two days and he couldnt take it. good luck man.

grue

Or remove the rocks. Drain the tank. I can now do it in about 25 minutes. But I got to admit I cheat a little. After I remove the rock, I use a shop vac (Fish tank only) to remove the water. I dump the overflow from the shop vac into a 40 gallon trash can (44 gallon). After the desired fish is removed I replace the rock. Use the shop vac to put the water back into the tank (In a trash bag to cut down on the turbulance) My 2 cents
Grue

wangotango

It shouldn't be too hard (tangs aren't the smartest fish I've seen).
You could try a clear trap. Put a sheet of Nori in there and wait for the tang to go in.
You could also try borrowing another yellow tang from your LFS. Keep it in the bag and see if the other one goes after it. If it does you should be able to net it.
Hope that helps.
-Justin

hammerhed7

As stated earlier these fish are not the brightest, I get a good sized net, and put it in the tank for an hour or so, and then the fish pay no attention to it then put some nori on a clip on the glass, and net him while he is eating, or try catching him after the room and tank are dark, just get your net ready, and turn the lights on, most fish take some time to get moving while adjusting to the light.

t316

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2743724
As stated earlier these fish are not the brightest, I get a good sized net, and put it in the tank for an hour or so, and then the fish pay no attention to it then put some nori on a clip on the glass, and net him while he is eating, or try catching him after the room and tank are dark, just get your net ready, and turn the lights on, most fish take some time to get moving while adjusting to the light.
Agree most with this method...Start feeding ONLY out the net. All of your fish will quickly start coming inside the net to grab food. Swipe 'em up.

rabbit_72

I used clear holding container and placed seaweed on a clip. On the bottom , and put it in the tank and my scopas swam in. I used my net to keep him in, and pulled him out,good luck.