Catching an Aggressive Fiji Damsel

chamway

I made the mistake of adding a Fiji Damsel to a peaceful 50 gal reef tank. He is terrorizing all the occupants and me. I have tried a number of times to catch him, all to no avail. Any suggestions on how to get a fast, angry fish out of my reef tank. Thanks

snipe

LoL They dont call him Devil for nothing lol. I have heard many way of getting them out but most end up in taking everything out of the tank.
first method is placing some food in your net and placing it in the tank let him eat out of the net for a few days then one day when he enteres scoop really fast "you may only have 1 or two tries at this he will wise up and leave the net alone".
Second method is to buy a fish trap many places sell them the only problem is you can catch the wrong fish many times before you get the one you want.
Third method taking everything out of the tank long and painful work and a horrible thing to have to do to your tank since you have it the way you like it. 100% guarrantied to catch the fish this way.
Im sure there are more mabey ppl will chime in and let you know there secrets.

jjlittle

get a fish trap it will do the trick put food in it he will go in and catch and flush just kidding take hiom back to you LFS.

chamway

Thanks for the help. I tried the first method, he seems to be too smart for that. I will try the trap and keep my fingers crossed, so I don't have to use your 3rd suggestion. Thanks again.

murph145

i wanted to take my damsils out also.... nothin worked the bait and net method nothin.... not that they were terrors but just didnt want them in there anymore since my fish load is a lil on the high side..... i couold catch every other darn fish except the damsils.... so guess what??
lol i left them in.... i was sure not going to rip down all my rock and well placed corals that has taken me so long to build up....
i would go fishing for him.... sounds like yours is a pain in the

[hr]
:D

crazyaqua

:mad: I had to move all my live rock out and i finally caught mine they are a pain i think there the spawn of satan

marshall

I removed 65lbs of rock to catch mine, then i sacrificed him to the toliet god. Sorry damsel lovers, if he was bigger i woulda ate it.

snipe

You should of gave him away or took him back there is no need to take these creatures off the coral reef if your just gonna kill it.

feixjai

well for me to get a fish that swims really quick just use slow motion with the fish net. when he comes near dont move the net just leave it there and dont move. you cant move either because when you move, he gets scared a goes away. so yea when he comes near dont move. when he gets closer and closer almost near the net quickly scoope it up but becareful to not knock down any of your rocks. and you can proabably put food in there to make it easier. works for me most of the time. good luck

dmc888

I like to use 2 nets, one large and one med.
Then try to put everything on one side of the tank. And try to get him on the empty side.
I block off the middle with the large net and go in with the medium size.
If he passes my med. net i try the large one but ussually won't go near the large one.

jjlittle

The fish traps work very good and you will get want ever fish you would like jsut use lots of food in it they will go right to the trap.

chamway

Thanks for all the advice but this guy is a foxy one. With my LFS not having a fish trap, I made one utilizing a model in one of the other "Catching Damsel" threads. It didn't work - well, I should say it worked in catching every other fish in the tank BUT my bully.
I am going to try again tonight, not sure i am going to get a different outcome.
Does the manufactured fish trap have an advantage over a home made trap? I suspect it does but I am not sure.
It has been helpful to know that others of you out there have suffered through this as well. It made me laugh a little, as I caught everything but what I wanted...

snipe

I told you traps will most likely help you ketch all the fish you dont want lol. If you dont want to bother the rock your either gonna have to keep up with that or the net thing. Other wise it comes down to stripping your tank bare.

chamway

Thanks Snipe. I was laughing also, when I suffered thru your predicted outcome. I will try a few more times - I really don't want to move all the rock but will if I have to.