catching damsels

chadman

is there a fish that i could place in my tank to rid me of a few damsels? i know this sounds terrible but i can't catch those things for the life of me....i am not evil i promise!!

comet_nut

Seriously catching damsels is not that hard.. unless they are diseased save the trouble and just catch them and tank them back to your lfs. You have to think that there are a number of other fish that could eat them for you, but then you are going to be left with a cranky fish (i.e. undualte trigger or lion fish)

comet_nut

Have you tried using a fish trap of any sort? If you want a cheap one, cut the top quarter off a coke bottle and then sticky tape ot back on, on one side, put some live brine shrimp in the other end of the bottle and when the damsels swim into the bottle close the whole thing and your done. WOrks a treat!

A

anothrname

sup chadman! try using a very small hook for fishing... not the barbed kind where it will tear their lip up when u remove it, but the kind that are smooth, except for the point on the very end.. u dont need a fishin pole, just a lil bit of line, and put a brine shrimp on it and WHAMOE!!! u got urself a damsel!

seannmelly

Originally Posted by AnothrName
sup chadman! try using a very small hook for fishing... not the barbed kind where it will tear their lip up when u remove it, but the kind that are smooth, except for the point on the very end.. u dont need a fishin pole, just a lil bit of line, and put a brine shrimp on it and WHAMOE!!! u got urself a damsel!

chadman

i tried the coke bottle thing but that did not work....i will try the fishing it with a hook idea...my damsels always stay low aroudn the rockwory i have a feeling my clowns or cleaner shrim will attack the hook

jerth6932

Originally Posted by chadman
i tried the coke bottle thing but that did not work....i will try the fishing it with a hook idea...my damsels always stay low aroudn the rockwory i have a feeling my clowns or cleaner shrim will attack the hook
its not fun having to Catch and release in your fish tank!!!! LOL Hey man whats up? The fishing hook method has worked for a few people!!! Some people will purchase a bigger net.... feed the fish... then catch them when feeding..... But he Hook and line should work..... if not for your cleaner or Clowns!!!!

chadman

tommorow i will give both these methods a shot and let u guys know how things worked out...tommorow will be a happy day ifi have two less damsels....thanx guys i am off to bed!

chadman

no luck guys!! they stayed along the bottom the entire time and didnt come up for the hook or for the bottle trap

jerth6932

Originally Posted by chadman
no luck guys!! they stayed along the bottom the entire time and didnt come up for the hook or for the bottle trap
That sucks!!! I am sorry....... I would of thought you fishing for him would of worked!! What did you use for bait?

hapshot

:happyfish
Originally Posted by Jerth6932
That sucks!!! I am sorry....... I would of thought you fishing for him would of worked!! What did you use for bait?

chadman

i little piece of shrimp...all the other fish attacked it...its as if the damsels hear me talking about hwo i want to get rid of them.....

wanabebell

Volitans lions L-O-V-E damsels
In our world it would be like a 48 ounce steak
And that being the best stake in you life

S

surfinusa

i also have a special talent at catching fast fish also hapshot

teaggs

Originally Posted by surfinusa
i also have a special talent at catching fast fish also hapshot
if you did have a lion couldnt you just not feed him for a few then he would eat them. My lion got hungry when I was gone for the weekend and ate my sand sifting gobie that was as long as he was and it took him a while to digest it but he got it down

hapshot

Originally Posted by teaggs
if you did have a lion couldnt you just not feed him for a few then he would eat them. My lion got hungry when I was gone for the weekend and ate my sand sifting gobie that was as long as he was and it took him a while to digest it but he got it down
That must suck for your lionfish to have ate your goby. I wonder if my trigger or SFE would eat a sandsifting goby. :thinking: