Catching micro serpents, Please ID critter also.

labar914

What in the world is the best way to catch micro serpent stars? My friend would like a few, along with the LFS. I have alot of them, the population exploded, I think we determined in the past it was because while I was away I had increasing nitrates from my husband way overfeeding. They range is size from 3 inches to pin-point.
Also, is the critter below an Asterina seastar? That is the closest ID I could come up with, before I release him I just wanted to make sure that he is a harmless little guy.
Thanks a bunch.

ophiura

It is an Asterina star, most likely harmless. There is a "disclaimer" I will add that a very very few are not safe, but the overwhleming majority cruise the rocks and glass, grazing on microbial/algal films.
For the microbrittles, :notsure: Giving them a few cups of sand comes to mind as the easiest way. Probably could come up with some sort of trap somehow.

labar914

Originally Posted by ophiura
Probably could come up with some sort of trap somehow.
Do you think a Bristle Worm trap would work? So far I have been sucking them up when I vacum and let my son sort thru the dirt, he is cheap labor. Most end up OK, but some lose an arm or two.
Thank You

ophiura

An arm or two is no concern. And if they get a few "seed" stars they will get more. Both the brittlestars and the Asterina reproduce very well in our tanks :yes: But a bristle worm trap may work...just haven't used them :notsure: