catching yellow tail damsels

amadent

They look great , but they are killers. They have (we think ) are responsible for the death of, 2 cardinals and one royal grammar. Now my maroon clown is hiding in the rocks. I have five of them. 72 gal 85lbs of LR. What is the best way to get them out without tearing the tank apart. Once caught they are going back to the LFG. I don't want them dead.
I saw a trap with a plactic door. any good???????????????

bill109

Originally Posted by amadent
They look great , but they are killers. They have (we think ) are responsible for the death of, 2 cardinals and one royal grammar. Now my maroon clown is hiding in the rocks. I have five of them. 72 gal 85lbs of LR. What is the best way to get them out without tearing the tank apart. Once caught they are going back to the LFG. I don't want them dead.
lets seeee.. catching damsels... next to impossibe.; tht is one more good reason not to cycle with damses.. im not saying ou did but not a good idea

nel621

You may have to mone some rock out of the tank into a holding container.Buy or make a tank devider.Slowly close in on the fish you want to remove. The space will be smaller and the fish easier to catch.Good luck!

bill109

in all seriousness now. what i want to do is get a big net. and take out some rock and force him to the top and scoop!!! damsel are done. .into a bag and about .1cents store credit into your pocket! :hilarious
if tht dont work cal pest control or jeff corwin..

bill109

this ids not going to be easy. OBTW I didn't cycle with the tellow tails.
yeah i didnt mean to say tht you did i said im not saying you did but im sorry if you felt like i acused you

amadent

I think I saw something about making a trap frpm soda bottles. Before I signed on I tried to net 1 out of 5 for an hour. Not happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chilwil84

blue-green chromis make for a nicer cheap fish and they only tend to beat eachother up , move rocks and create a tank seperator or just break down a pull out all of the rock because 5 fish are a lot to catch

cj7eagle

good luck... took me almost a week to catch 1 in a 29 gallon tank. Its not fun. it came down to me using a divider and backing them into a corner for my girlfriend to net.

memphis

There is a video on YouTube of guy fishing them out, no joke. He was using the smallest hooks I have ever seen with a little piece of scallop. You could try that :thinking:

jktenpro

I caught two fairly easily by waiting until the lights were off a few hours, turning the lights back on and when they are just coming out of their hiding places and there colors were faded I scooped them out with a net- the first took 2 tries and the second just one. Maybe I have fast hands but they really didn't know what hit them.

anonome

A lionfish will do wonders for you...only kinding
Unless of course you want a lionfish.

I had a yellow pseudochromis in my tank that was causing all sorts of havoc. I tried fish traps...oh they work, just not on the fish you want. I caught all of the fish and shrimp one a day for 2 wks but never got the pseudo. I moved some of the rock, corraled him in that area and placed a tank divider, a piece of plexiglass cut to size, in then I was able to catch him. Good luck. The fish traps work really well with live brine shrimp. In case you would like to try this route.

30-xtra high

i have a 30 extrahigh with ich, so i had to catch 3 of them to put in the qt so i could get the ich out of my tank, here's what i did.
1. take off hood.
2. get a couple fish pellets in your hand
3. get a "10" net
4. drop in pellets
5. swoops net in when they are eating.
took me less than five minutes
, hope it works out.

bill109

Originally Posted by Anonome
A lionfish will do wonders for you...only kinding
Unless of course you want a lionfish.

I had a yellow pseudochromis in my tank that was causing all sorts of havoc. I tried fish traps...oh they work, just not on the fish you want. I caught all of the fish and shrimp one a day for 2 wks but never got the pseudo. I moved some of the rock, corraled him in that area and placed a tank divider, a piece of plexiglass cut to size, in then I was able to catch him. Good luck. The fish traps work really well with live brine shrimp. In case you would like to try this route.
lionfish,,

my thoughts was...
call pest control or jeff crowin..

btw do you have the youtube video? id like to see tht

sepulatian

Do they have a feeding time? You will need to be a little sneaky, but if you lay the net at an angle in the tank and put their food in, you should be able to catch them when they come out. I know damsels are quick little devils. Even with no rock you have to be quick and usually need 2 nets. Out of curiosity, why did you get them?

30-xtra high

lol, if you think thats terrible... you'd hate my friends, they feed their voliotans damsels all the time. every time they go on sale 3 for 10$ they buy 3 and drop them in without acclimating and the lions eat'm in a second.