Cathey's 55 gallon dream... my first tank

cathey

the aipstacia.... the tentacles are no longer visible i think the peps are doing their job.
my devil fish lol yellowtail damsel
is this diatoms on my glass or the starting of some algae?
you can see the diatoms or algae here too, and one of the snails lol....
side view.... this is the rock with the pest anemone's on it. only seeing 2 of them the past few days and one of those no longer has tentacles.
my blue legged hermit.

cathey

Today i went to the LFS and added myself some chaeto... i do not have a refugium so it is in the DT. I also bought 3 more hermits, another peppermint shrimp, and a chocolate chip starfish (my 8 year old) had to have. My QT is finally giving some good numbers and is now cycled so i put in 2 clowns.
so here is my question for the day.... I am fixing to dose the aispacia again okay. Should i remove it from my display and dose maybe in the QT..... to lessen the risk of more spores being sent out in my DT... or will my peps take care of all the new crops?

cathey

Well i didn't get any advice so i went ahead and dosed the apstacia again, and completely filled the holes with the paste in the DT lol. i hope these things dont revive and come back again. I guess the shrimp will get any new ones that come up. Will keep ya posted if anyone is following me. Got pics of the chocolate chip starfish to post also.

justcindym

Im a newby too and also got aptasia on my rock... I had 5 on 2 rocks one rather large one. I put 3 pepermints in the tank and they ate 4 of them, it took them a couple of weeks to touch them but eventually they did... the last one was really rather large bigger than a quarter at the base. I put that rock in my QT with a pepermint and only fed enough for the fish I had in there... in one week the aptasia was gone. I just put the rock and the pepermint back in the DT and all is well. you wont have to use the chemicals even on tough ones if you get creative. its been 3 months now and no new aptasia.

cathey

Thanks... i used the pickling lime the second time and made a paste with DI water and filled those holes full.... I had a rather large one also... and so far i don't see any new ones or the old one's back. YAY.... hoping the peps will take care of any new crops .... so far all is well.

cathey

just tested ammonia, nitrite and nitrate... all tested 0. I guess the chaeto is doing it's job because the nitrate's did drop to 0... Yay.... please everyone send me some links to some refugium builds that i could add!!! and also... what is you guys opinion on some eggcrate and sectioning off a corner for the chaeto where it could stay in my DT... if i can't do a refugium at the moment.
My time is sparce right now to invest.. as i am working 14 days in a row before a day off, and my dad's cancer is spreading... it has now went to organs...not just bone, and i will be with him an awful lot at the dr's and treatment centers... trying to keep everything as simple as possible for my husband and kids to take care of my tanks while i am away....