Caught a Lion, not sure what kind

raphael

Hello ya'll, been a long time. I made it out night fishing and caught this fellow, not sure the type though? I am also going to sell my tank.
Hopefully I will be going back to the states soon, it will be real nice to see a proper LFS. Peace out

liontamer

How big is the lion? It looks like an adult volitan, cept it still has its horns and a beard...so i dunno, i think its normal for adults to lose the horns and grow out the beard protrusions..maybe its cuz its from the wild? Sweet fish....

raphael

first off sorry for the word, sell, I ment "sale". I dont no about taking the fish with me its a long way away. I will just give them to whoever buy's my tank. Red volitan, cool. I am glad to finaly catch one, I tried for his friend but did not get him. Thanks for the help.

unleashed

id def say volitan juvenile still has horns adults lose them they do grow larger in the wild than in aquarium.I just read a huge article obout lionfish just today.on recognising species of lions

fmarini

its a beautiful red volitans, juvie. prolly around 6-10 months old. As everyone pointed out it stil have its ocular projections. which adults tend to loose. The mandibular projections (the beard) is often retained in some form on the adults. Also as volitan sage they get a more squatty body and shorter pec fins
Unleashed where did you read this article, can you point it out

unleashed

acually the russels commonly mistaken for the volitan has the short stocker bodyI hope i can do thisthis is not a sales site its for inforamtion on species only.sorry im in breaking any forum rules
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-1...ture/index.htm
after reading this article I went out and purchased 50 black mollys as feeder fish for my lions.after doing alot of research I found that black mollies are not naturally fresh water fish they are acually brackish and are able to be aclimated to salt.these will not be a main diet for my lions but i will house a few in the main tank at a time and replace them as needed.I hope this site is as informative to you as it was to me

fmarini

unleashed...thanks for the link, ive seen that article-i wrote it.
i hope the mollys work for you. i've had good luck w/ ghost shrimp and getting small Sw feeders from a bait store. However, it was easier for me to just wean the lionfish over to dead prrepared foods. I really only had problems w/ Fu manchu lions not weaning over easily.

harlequin

Dont be so sure. They stay in deeper water although they have been found on Gray's Reef which although I do not have a map on me, I seem to remember it being down near the Ga/FL border line. Very good possibilty that they are in at least Northern FL waters.