Caught! Mantis shrimp (1 of 3 or maybe 4) What now?

cableguy

Anyone want him? If so, how do I ship him?
If no one wants him, what do I do with him? Do LFS take them?
I didnt want to kill him (the scissor trick) but if I have to flush him then so be it. I got 2 or maybe 3 more to still find and trap.

cableguy

Just got #2...
#1 is about 1.5 - 2 inches long
#2 is a little guy.. maybe 1 inch.
I know there is still one more big one that is just gorgeous in color. Very bright red and blue.

cableguy

I am running to the gym.. a buddy is waiting for me.
They are at the top of my tank in a net. They dont look too pleased... lol I will get some pics when I get back.

cableguy

That is in the works just for this occassion, but I still have to pick it up from a buddies house. So it is currently impossible to do this, and leting them go and trying it re catch them is not an option.

cableguy

The little one, still trying to escape

The bigger one. He tried to get out for about 30 mins shooting around in the net. I think he is a little stressed

With the food out (in the trap) a lot of stuff is coming out, and then dying I assume because of the bad water levels.
A star fish came out.. the size of my hand, but he looks like he is dying and then I noticed a little one, about the size of a quarter on the glass, he still looks healthy.

And does anyone know what this is? (Rather than creating a new thread)
Its black and about the width of a needle, but has a white puffy thing at the end.. wasnt here yesterday.

ibanez

You can always do small water changes to keep the dying to a minimum. It may prolong the toxic phase of the cycle but will keep more things alive in your tank which is a good thing. Pretty much the only things that die are the good things, bad things seem to live no matter what you do.

cableguy

Originally Posted by IbanEz
http:///forum/post/3251653
You can always do small water changes to keep the dying to a minimum. It may prolong the toxic phase of the cycle but will keep more things alive in your tank which is a good thing. Pretty much the only things that die are the good things, bad things seem to live no matter what you do.

Yeah no kidding.. these manjano are spreading like crazy.. or everyone one I kill, I see another one some where else. Just ordered one thing of joes juice and one thing of atapsia x. See which one works better.

ibanez

I have never had trouble with aiptasia x, but it still takes a few treatments to get em all, they hide well in the rocks.

cableguy

They both look very active and healthy today. They must have slept well... LOL!
The third one got a slug looking thing that has been crawling around the tank. I see him floating in the hole where the 3rd one lives. grrrr Makes me mad because now he wont be hungry and go for the trap.

cableguy

So I did a water change on my display tank, but I didnt toss the water. I got a 20 tall from a buddy and started my QT tank with that water, but temporary home for these two Mantis shrimps.
Threw a heater in, a decent sized live rock from my main tank and no sand / CC for now and a 1' air stone to move the water. Waiting for my live sand to arrive.
I know I know about the air store, but 1. I dont have any fish in there and 2 I have nothing else to move the water around. I have a power head on the way that I ordered on Thursday but it wont be there till next week and Im not going to buy another one at a local store.

handbanana

Wish I could take your mantis. Were they all hitchhikers? it would be just as cheap if not cheaper to go buy one than ship to phx az tho Im afraid.