Caulerpa in main Tank - Good or bad?

jond

I am in the process of taking measures to reduce my nitrates. (i.e. switch to DSB, removed bio-wheel) A couple of weeks ago, however, I added a small clump of grape caulerpa to the tank to help speed the process. Is this dangerous in any way? I plan to keep it trimmed and probably remove it altogether when I get the DSB extablished.

kimmisue

I had to remove it out of my tank..What a PAIN...Don't do it ....it takes over
I am still removing it ..a year later.
Kim

nasotang00

what kind of fish if any do you have in the tank. Tangs will eat that up like crazy. I agree with kimmisue, it will start to get out of control. If you keep the growth "contained" you should be alright. Better bet would be to put it in your sump. you will need a light down there though.

fishfreek

I keep some razor caulerpa clumps in my main tank. It is fairly easy to control, unlike the grape wich, IME, will reproduce sexually and you will have it every where. It, along with cutting back on feedings, sure seems to help keep my nitrates in check. :)

jond

I don't have any fish that will eat it. I guess I will use it until I get my DSB in and then remove it. Unfortunately, I don't have room for a sump or I would have one. I hope to move my 37 to a 157 later in the year. Until then, I can only dream.

kelly

jond,
I always keep a little caulerpa in my tank. Currently have razor caulerpa and a feather caulerpa. Since I have no nitrates or phosphates, it grows very slowly. If it does start to grow to fast, then it can be trimmed. I have had a couple different types of grape or similar varieties. One type, have not seen it in a while looked like it had half grapes, rounded on the bottom, and concave on the top (1/4" across). It grew like a bad weed, all it needed was water and a little light. There are other varieties the grow very rapidly too, and can take over the tank.
Kelly

aceiswild7

i have grape caulerpa along with some other varieties in my refugium.. it is growing rapidly .. is that bad? i asumed the larger it got the more it would do its job?
thanx

jond

That is where you want it to grow like crazy. We were talkin about it in the main tank. Yours is a good thing.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting some feather caulerpa...anyone have any complaints or + exp with this algae?

aceiswild7

thanx also do tangs and angels eat the grape type? or only certain types iwould like to be able to feed them anything i trim

justinl

You know I bought some caulerpa on a rock the other week and it doesn't seem to be growing in my main tank. I see my fish and crabs nibbling at it often. I assumed it would double in size in a week but it's actually been reduced to half that size. I'm not sure what kind it is though. Not feather or grape for sure. I got it beacuse I had high nitrates and phosphates which I thought it would soak up like a sponge and use it to grow but I guess not. :confused:

justinl

Yes, I know. :rolleyes:
What does it mean when it turns white? The tips of some of my caulerpa are turning white and it's in my main tank (a small patch). Do I need to get it out of there? What falls off, or is eaten, sinks to the bottom of the tank and looks almost like it has calcified.

got krabs

by the tops turning white means; die off. It would be best to trim off the white and expose the lush green again. you may need more calcium to lay down for regrowth

miner

Hi,
I sure would get rid of it. This , when it turns white, lets off a MILKY substance that will kill everything alive almost. It is dangerous. My neighbor lost her whole tank, but a few snails. This should be used in a refugium, where the lights stay on 24/7 so it won't go sexual and emit this milky substance. Please be very careful !!
Hope this helps You

kris walker

Shrimp, I have to say I need to see this, or hear it from many others, to believe it. :) It seems counterintuitive to me. Has anyone else seen this happen? Shrimp, could it have just been a concurrent ammonia spike that killed everything?
sam

miner

No, She checked out all her water perimeters. Everything was good. Her water turned all milky over night. It was a disaster !! She lost a lot of stuff. I will have her do a post on here if, I can get her to.

rhearrel

I have some in my tank that my tang eats. However, I do agree that without managing it, it will get out of control and take of the tank.
My single tang can't keep up with it so about every two weeks, I rip some out to help keep everything in check.
Also, I have noticed that if you get too much in the tank it will cause your PH swings to be greater.
[ January 01, 2002: Message edited by: Rhearrel ]

xenia

Hi All, It was my tank that had the Caulerpa Crash. One day I was doing my weekly water check, and noticed that there was some white on the Caulerpa. I cut off the dead, and finished testing the water. It was all fine. The next morning when I turned on the lights, I noticed the water was cloudy. All the Caulerpa was white, and rotten looking. All the snails and shrimp were dead. The Corals didn't look good either, but recovered. It was getting a little thick, but I never thought it would do that, especially so fast. I took out all the dead, did massive water change, and all is fine now. It was the more common variety, not Grape or Feather. I had heard that when it goes Sexual it will happen, but never thought it would happen to me.
Xenia