Caulerpa, no growth

craig110768

i have added some caulerpa to my tank to try and help control my nitrates. Its been in the tank a week, and not started to grow. I have been doing some research, and it may be trace elements that i'm missing. I have done 2 35g water changes over this past week, but the nitrates and high.
Can anyone suggest a cheap supplement that would help get this Caulerpa to grow.
Thanks
Craig

wingnut

your problem might be as ive noticet with one of my tanks that has caulerpa in it is that well that 6" naso you got is probly triming it when the lights go out

craig110768

Sorry. I should have mentioned. Its in my QT tank, not in my main display yet. Wanted to get some growth first.
Craig

craig110768

I filled my qt a couple of days ago, with all water from my main display. As for the lighting - just regular NO - enough light for a 20g QT - it came with the tank.
I have no fish in the QT if that matters, and have NOT been adding any food to it, to keep it cycled.
As for supplements, to get things going. What should I add?
Craig

diverva

I have a 10 gallon tank that is just sitting around. I have considered adding some live sand from the bottom of my main tank and some live rock to try and establish a tank to grow caulerpa. Would the light that came with the tank work or would I need a new light? I am trying to find a way to keep algae around, so I can feed it to my tang and angel.

barracuda

IRON additive may help Caulerpa to grow. I had this kind of macroalgae before and i was adding Kent Marine's Iron suppliment on weekly basis.