Caulerpa Questions

Can someone please list any benefits, if any, to having a bush of Caulerpa between my rocks or hidden in the back of the tank.
Also, if someone would please post a picture of Caulerpa, it would be greatly appreciated.
Justin

nm reef

Personally I would avoid keeping macro algaes intentionally in my display. They can grow quickly and if un-checked can over run a display.
I prefer to keep assorted macro algaes(caulerpa) in my refugium. Primary beneftie are that they out compete nusience algaes for nutrients. This provides two major benefits: one it removes excess nutrients from the water(which can then be removed via harvesting the macro algaes) and it prevents the un-checked growth of nusience algaes by limiting the nutrients they need to thrive.
For uinformation & pics check this
link

lochi

Sorry to inject another question in this thread.
NM, what you've stated as benefits for caulerpa are pretty significant. If you dont have a fuge do you think its worth keeping some in the display tank.

nm reef

Yes....but macro algaes can be fast growers and they will need to be cultivated to prevent them from over running your system. Personally I try to avoid macros in my display. But it can be done.You can get the same benefits...but possibly limited due to the lack of space for them to grow. My refugiums are literally covered in macros which are harvested every few days...but in the display the amount of growth and harvest would be rather limited.

leboeuf

sorry to interupt, but macro in the display is a bad idea. It has to be well maintained or it will overrun EVERYTHING. Then as it becomes dominate, it will go sexual and release all its buds into the water. Making the water cloudy and dirty looking. Which will obviously lead to extensive water changes.
However, I have seen it done and it does make the tank look very natural. (not worth the risk IMO)

flydan

Hey,
I keep caulerpa in my refugium and it works like a charm. I do have Halymenia and Halimeda in my display tank but it grows very slowly and I like the looks of it.
Dan'l

beaslbob

plant life, algae, macro algaes, or plants, complete the nitrogen cycle, filters out all types of bad stuff, buffers and stablizes the system. Caulpera and other desirable algaes use the same nutrients as the ugly algaes and therefore limit those algaes.
I like plants in my display. the only problem I have is that I can not get it to spread. My tang is constantly eating it. I also have tumble weed like gracilaria (spelling) which grows very slowly. and some money plants, shaving brushes, turtle grasses, and ulva. I culture it in a 20g long and transfer to the display as it becomes available.
If you are considering add macro algaae, go for it. To me a tank is not complete, stable and balanced without plant life (in display or refugium).

Very informative responses, exactly why I joined this board.
I am thinking of setting a little bush of caulerpa in the back corner near the top between some rocks, as it will be easily accessible for pruning.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by oO BubbaGump Oo
Very informative responses, exactly why I joined this board.
I am thinking of setting a little bush of caulerpa in the back corner near the top between some rocks, as it will be easily accessible for pruning.

I'd just be cautious to make sure it does not have a place to grow around or down .... if that makes sense? In other words - not on the peak of a mountain type of rock - since it could grow down the sides and not be shaded ....

overanalyzer

Originally posted by tangsfornuttin
how's your calcium level with that halmedia?

Tangs I have it in my 20 gallon and my calcium is 480 as of two weeks ago. I change water weekly (5-10%).
I love the looks of it (Halimeda) and I think it really adds a nice color to my tank. Of course a Nano with only one LPS in it (2 if you count hte frag of hte mother colony) is not as demanding on the calcium as hard core reef tank

mvogel2

when i finally get my sump set up i plan on putting some macro in it...
my question is should i do anything to prevent the algea from getting sucked up into the pump? Do you use a divider of some sort?
thanks
matt

flydan

Hey,
I just tested my Ca this morning and it's at 460. It's been pretty steady in the mid 400's.
Dan'l

overanalyzer

Not sure since I have only one LPS and not other calcium demanding corals! I plan on keeping it in my 20 though and not moving it to my larger tank!