CBS vs. Decorator Spidor Crab

gilpil

The DSC has been in there for 8 whole hours. So I know he feeds at night, and I have a job where I am always off right when the lights go out. I fed him a piece of scallop, and the CBS went right for it, not knowing there is actually a crab that has already aggressively grabbed for it. Well I gave the shrimp a piece of scallop as soon as possible, even though he has already ate a good portion of shrimp today. I hope they do okay, they are chowing down right next to each other. The CBS is still being a little aggressive, I think he knows he has a new advisery. Yeah, do not know how to spell it. I also added my first sexy shrimp today. I do not know whether to be happy that they are not bothering with the sexy shrimp or that they are figuring each other out.

gilpil

well, I will tell you what. My CBS has move to his neck of the woods to eat his food, even though I am surprised, since I gave him a very generous share about 9 hours ago, just before I put the new arrivals in. I fed him mainly because I was scared for the Sexy Shrimp that I added right before the DSC (Decorator Spider Crab). I know I have to keep the DSC well fed if I do not want him to hunt at night, but how much should I feed him and how often? He is at least 3 inches in length from front to back or side to side if you include his legs.
PS This DSC has been in a 55g tank with some kind of shark for at least 3 months. I feel so bad for the shark, wish I was able to take him, but I could not offer him any better

gilpil

Sorry, I do not mean to reply to my own thread, but it seems funny to me, that in the very same day, 2 hours after I add the DSC, that my Boxer crab and CBS get into it over nothing. I have seen them when food is around, and they pretty much stay clear of each other, but this evening, they were in the same vicinity, and even though my Boxer crab comes out often, he does not usually come out if I am not feeding at the time. Well no feeding at the time and they are both at the front of the aquarium where I usually feed. They seemed like they went after each other, and even thought my CBS is huge and probably 8X the sixe of my boxer crab easily, my Boxer crab swung his arms and the CBS fled. I hope this DSC does not cause aggression.

gilpil

There has been a confrontation, which in my tank is huge. I just watched the CBS for about 10 minutes under moon lights. He felt out the DSC for that long, and finally "backed" off, but still kept his anntennie on. OK I do not know how to spell anntennie. Well the DSC moved and the CBS fled but them came back to see what is up. The CBS is a veteran in my tank, and usually the King, I think he is being over thrown. Well I am going to get back to my aquarium, even though it is almost 1am her. Sorry I know most repliers wil be in bed, but I am West coast.

buddahjon

do they fight or are they just having a "pissin match"? if they arent actually fighting my guess would be you have a new crab with a big ego and he's just trying to establish the pecking order. but i am certainly far from an expert.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Sounds like they're kinda cheeking things out. I'd keep an eye on them, but it sounds like they'll work things out.
Meadbhb

clarkiiclo

I have a pair of CBS and a DSC. My DSC is a big weenie. I hav never seen him make an agressive move towards anything. He comes out at night and eats. I have some small fish and I havent seen him try for them either. The only thing that he does is he has knocked over a coral or two in the past.

clarkiiclo

I wouldnt worry about them. I dont think they are that agressive.
He will snatch polyps though. Mine has Zoos, Xenia and Clove polyps.

gilpil

Well, that is good, because I do not have anything but LR, Inverts, and fish in my tank. I watched until 1:00am, and they were still facing each other, I guess in a pissing match. Well, right now they are sharing an overhang, which is usually the CBS's.

clarkiiclo

Most of the time my DSC just walks along really slow and I have seen the CBS's crawling over him because he is in the way.