CBS vs Peppermints

don1234

I have several aptasia growing in places that I cant reach. I also have a CBS. I have put a few pepermints
in a while back to help with the aptasia, but the CBS ate them immediately. Should I just take him out if I can catch him. Then let the pepermints do their job?

mrdc

Well it's no gurantee that the peppermints will eat the aptasia. If you don't have much of it, I would try a different approach like Joe's Juice or make your own concoction.

handbanana

Peppermints wont eat aiptasia if there is other sources of food.
Mine eat the stuff. Only one in four will however.

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3272399
Peppermints wont eat aiptasia if there is other sources of food.
Mine eat the stuff. Only one in four will however.
Mine did too! In fact, I had forgotten I had the peppermints, and squirted the aip with some boiling water. Then a peppermint came and took a big chunk out of it. 3 more pep shrimp had their eye on it too, and when I came back in 5 min, the aip was GONE. BUT, I had not feed the tank in 3 days, so they were pretty hungry, I think.
A side note...I read way too many threads entitled "my coral banded shrimp is a murderer" so you might have problems in the future

Hope this helps!

clown-lover

I just bought a piece of LR from my LFS yesterday. It had one aptasia on it and I asked him if he could get rid of that for me before I took it home. He asked me if I was in a hurry, and then proceeded to take the rock to another tank. That tank had like 7 peppermints and three of them IMMEDIATELY jumped on the aptasia. They actually fought over who got to eat it. It was gone in less than 2 minutes. very cool to watch.
But...it did show me that not all the shrimp were interested in it. Some didn't even bother to go toward it.

Originally Posted by Clown-Lover
http:///forum/post/3272464
I just bought a piece of LR from my LFS yesterday. It had one aptasia on it and I asked him if he could get rid of that for me before I took it home. He asked me if I was in a hurry, and then proceeded to take the rock to another tank. That tank had like 7 peppermints and three of them IMMEDIATELY jumped on the aptasia. They actually fought over who got to eat it. It was gone in less than 2 minutes. very cool to watch.
But...it did show me that not all the shrimp were interested in it. Some didn't even bother to go toward it.
That's what they say...I guess I got lucky! And maybe the feeding DOES have something to do with it?