CC and sand

jg303030

I have about 60 lbs of crushed coral. I wanted to add sand to the top of it. Maybe, 1/2 inch or so. Is there something wrong with this? If I use just key west white sand, and not live sand with this affect my tank? I have already completed my cycle. My LFS said it is ok to do this because the cc will act as a filter. Are there any other opinions? I have a clown, cardinal, yellow tang, and scooter blenny, along with 60-75lbs of live rock. I also have 1 mushroom coral. Thanks for any otehr opinions!

schadiest1

i wondered the same thing, and i was told not to do that because the cc will rise to the top eventually and trap a lot of extra food and unwanted debris in your substrate causing high nitrates/nitrites. i wouldn't do it.... choose one or the other.

jg303030

My nitrates had been around 40ppm for the last 2-3 weeks. I got the coral, because they went down to <10ppm. When I'm testing my water where should I pull the water from? Everyone I have talked to says that the "bad" stuff rises to the top. So, when I test my water I just take it from the top. Why then, would nitrates/nitrites get trapped in cc? I'm just confused on that (':notsure:')

rnk9394

Get rid of the CC and use sand. You will be much better off in the long run. Take some time and look at the other posts and you will see that sand is best and cc creates to many problems.
Rick

bigarn

The waste matter that causes nitrites/nitrates when it decomposes gets trapped in the CC.... it spreads in the water colum from there. IMO go with a LS substrate. :D

a0b915

I have a layer of CC about 1" thick and was also wondering the same thing. My LFS told me not to add the sand on top of the CC. I was also advised on this site that if I wanted the sand bed i could remove the CC a little at a time so i didn't deplete my tank of the useful bacteria all at once, and then once all the CC was gone I could just add the sand. Hope this helps.
JD

schadiest1

well if that is true about bad stuff going to the top, then how is it going to get to the top of your tank if it's trapped in the substrate? all of the left over food sinks to the bottom right? well that gets broken down and sits in your substrate and eventually gets covered... causing a rise in your levels.

jg303030

My question is how can you tell if the levels are rising if it isn't possible to check them. (ie, trapped.) If they're trapped how do you know the nitrates are high? How can you check I guess is my question? Do you just assume that some food is getting to the bottom, and is getting trapped and therefore my nitrates are spiking? Will it show up on the nitrate test?

schadiest1

go with LS. i have had both and LS is much better than CC, it looks more natural and doesn't get as dirty as CC. it's up to you, but LS is a lot better.

schadiest1

yep, just use your test kit... it'll tell ya if your levels are off, and if they are. clean the substrate really good with a siphon vacuum. the vacuum will get unwanted debris from your substrate and suck out water at the same time, so then you can add in nice clean water when you're all done.

jg303030

How do I switch out? My rock covers so much space. I don't want to disturb what I already have going. Isn't a major problem with LS the gas pockets that develop (sulfur)? Does this also develop in cc?

schadiest1

i never heard of anything like that in either CC/LS. switching out is a pain in the -$$. but it's better than my situation... i had the LS/CC mixed together b4 i found out about this whole thing... that took me 2+ hours to seperate. check out what a0b915 had to say about taking it out of your tank.

bigarn

Originally posted by jg303030
What are the negatives with just keeping what I have? Just high nitrates? I can deal with that.

Yeah..... until all your livestock are dead. :thinking:
:D

schadiest1

maybe you can deal with high nitrates, but your fish won't be able too for elongated periods of time. you'll have to keep your substrate clean and you won't have to worry about high nitrates/nitrites. Invest in a good clean up crew if you aren't willing to spend the time cleaning your tank. some hermit crabs and snails and shrimp.

a0b915

jg303030,
High nitrate levels are the exact reason I was questioning my CC. High Nitrate levels are not something you want to let go at all. I found that the test strips (CRAP) I were using gave me a false nitrate reading. I would suggest you get a good test kit (Salifert is what I ended up with) if you don't already have one to get an accurate reading. I ended up not having the high nitrate levels I thought I did, and therefore kept my CC instead of switching it out for a DSB. The CC substrate is not all that hard to clean and if you are willing to put an hour a week tops toward tank maintenance I would keep your CC. I am now able to siphon the CC and clean all the crap from the bottom of my tank in less than one five gallon bucket and about 15 minutes of my time. I do this once a week and in the process i have been able to keep my nitrate levels down to less than 5ppm. Good Luck which ever way you go.
JD

mombostic

If you are willing to do the maintenance (and if you aren't, why are you in the hobby?) it shouldn't be all that hard to keep nitrates down.
I have crushed coral with a UGF. I don't have high nitrates and my fish aren't dead. I vacuum once a week in coordination with my water change (10%), and once a month I vacuum under the plate of the UGF. My nitrates are less than 5 ppm. I stated in another post, I wouldn't mind switching to the live sand, mostly for appearance, but I have almost 175bs of live rock and a fully stocked tank. I can't imagine how messy and disturbing it would be to change to a sand base. My tank is almost a year old.
I think it's okay if want to keep the cc as long as you take good care of it. The fact that you are posting and trying to solve a problem means you are willing to do just that!
Good luck! :happyfish

jg303030

I read somewhere that instead of syphoning your cc, you just need to give it a good stir every one to two weeks. It acts as a storm, like in the sea, and all the particles in the cc fly up and most get sucked into the filter. Is this true? I have been doing this and it is cloudy for a few minutes, but everything seems to be doing fine.