Cc Out Sand In, Help

smokin'jim

Taking cc out and replacing with south down sand i've already taking 3/4 of the UGF out and the CC i left one section of the UGF hooked up to the wisper filter and the second wisper is just filtering the water and the CC is on that plate, put 2 bags of sand in already and ready to put live sand in. Where the sand is its 3" and i was going to put 1" of live sand on top, when i do this is my filters going to suck my critters out of the live sand when the are floting around, should i just turn off the wispers and let the sand take over, and how long will it take before the whole 4" is filtering??? My tank is 6 years old and 125 g and rite now 2 damsels all readings look rite.......

juddster

you can put livesand in last.Undergravel filters are not always the best choice when using sand.I understand they can clog very easily.

smokin'jim

I was doing away with the UGF and going with sand how longshould i wait before i take the wispers off and let the sand take over ,andi have an skimmer to put back on have to repair it.......

juddster

You can take your wisper off if you have at least a 4" sand base and at least as many pounds of live rock as your gallons.Thats 125lb of live rock in your 125. Make sure you have enough water movement via powerheads and using your protein skimmer is a good idea. The sand and live rock especially will maintain a filter for you but water movement is essential.I Hope this is helpful.:)