CC remedy

dieselndix

So, I have CC on my tank now....40lbs in a 55 gallon tank. Is there a way to migrate over to LS? what if I were to slowly start adding live sand? what if they are mixed? what do i do?

maryd

I did this recently. I emptied about 30 gal (90 gal tank), put the LR in a rubbermaid container with some tank water, put the fish in another container of water, then scooped out the CC with a dust pan. I made continers of the CC (with the good bacteria) out of knee hi's and after putting the sand in, I put the CC knee hi bundles on the sand. I then added the water I had already made up, waited for the dust to settle and the next day the fish and LR went back in. All happy. I started taking out the CC bundles after a couple of days and within a week they were all out since the parameters were perfect. It was a lot of work and I'd advise you to have someone there to help. I did it alone and it was not an easy chore.

dieselndix

well....I have nothing but saltwater and CC right now.....so maybe I should do it now
can you put sand on the bottome and crushed on top? maybe a thin layer?
just trying not to waste

merredeth

Originally Posted by dieselndix
well....I have nothing but saltwater and CC right now.....so maybe I should do it now
can you put sand on the bottome and crushed on top? maybe a thin layer?
just trying not to waste
No you can't. The reason I read was that the potential for nitrate problems will be there still since vacuuming will now be out of the question if you want to keep the live sand.
I'd take the crushed coral out completely and just toss it as I don't know which plants could tolerate the salt from the tank. So, re-using the crushed coral for plants isn't even an option that I am aware of.
Consider the crushed coral part of your learning curve in saltwater.
Denise M.