cc/sand

clamdigger

I have a 55gal- 2 month old reef with cc...I have heard that live sand is better is it too late.... can I live with cc or should I change to sand.....EASILY??????

hot883

Originally Posted by clamdigger
I have a 55gal- 2 month old reef with cc...I have heard that live sand is better is it too late.... can I live with cc or should I change to sand.....EASILY??????
Do it now before to much crap gets trapped in there. I changed mine over in my 55 after 4 months. It's a serious pain but very well worth it.

hot883

Empty the whole tank into buckets, take everything out, scoop out the cc and add lr, ls and then the same water back

pitdawg01

Can I leave the water in there when I do it? Draining my tank is going to be very difficult. Also, my fish need to be taken out of the water right? Sorry, dumb question, I know-just wanna do this right!

aceroc

I would also do it now. I have CC and seen tanks with LS and it makes my CC look liek gravel. I will eventually switch but for now i don't have much time as work has picked up.

hot883

Adam, you will need/have to remove the water because you want as little of the nitrates from the cc as possible. You will defeat the purpose by leaving the water in.

pitdawg01

How long will it be once I fill the tank back up so I can put fish back in? The fish will have to be in buckets...

hot883

Originally Posted by PitDawg01
How long will it be once I fill the tank back up so I can put fish back in? The fish will have to be in buckets...
I bought a brand new rubbermaid trash can to hold all my lr and water and fish. I started to empty the tank and it leaked.
So... I used ice chests, like 4 of them. I had a couple of pieces of LR in one with all the fish and then used a couple more for the rest of the corals and water. I put a ph in the one with the fish for circulation. It took me about 6 hours total i think. I also tore my stand apart to put in my sump/refugium so it took longer.

pitdawg01

Originally Posted by hot883
Also have some aged saltwater mixed up for top offs because there will be some loss.
oh yeah, I know that.

hot883

I meant like how long it would clear up to be safe to throw the fish back in.
I put in my lr, then sand, then added the water back. I HAD NO CLOUDING at all.

pitdawg01

There was NO sand floating in the water? So it IS safe once you add the water back in to put the fish back in??

pitdawg01

Originally Posted by hot883
I bought a brand new rubbermaid trash can to hold all my lr and water and fish. I started to empty the tank and it leaked.
So... I used ice chests, like 4 of them. I had a couple of pieces of LR in one with all the fish and then used a couple more for the rest of the corals and water. I put a ph in the one with the fish for circulation. It took me about 6 hours total i think. I also tore my stand apart to put in my sump/refugium so it took longer.
when u say "ice chest." Do u mean like a large cooler?? How much will it cost me to buy all that? I am trying to save up for lights...

pitdawg01

Would I have to take the water out though? I have aquaclear filters right now (yeah I know, getting a fuge for x-mas) so those take out all that crap. Could I just do a LARGE water change afterward?? Like 15 gallons worth or something?

hot883

There was NO sand floating in the water? So it IS safe once you add the water back in to put the fish back in??
If you shield the water coming back into the tank, it won't get cloudy or very minimal at that. I was able to add right away. I used live sand so I did NOT rinse it. If you use dead sand you will need to rinse thoroughly.

littlebuck

there are alot of post in the past week on this i think we have had like 10 people change from cc to sand there is a great post out there let me try and find it.