CC to DSB

droshi

Well I just got through one hell of a saturday. I had about 2-3" of crushed coral substrate on my 55 gallon. This morning I changed it out to pure 100% aragonite (a little over 4"). The switch was smooth and it seems everything made it ok. My RBTA is deflated, but to be expected with the feeding it took a few days ago.
I love this sand so much better, I had aragonite on my previous 20 gallon. I have no idea what made me listen to the guy at the fish store when he told me that CC was just a personal preference, when clearly they had all aragonite in their reef tanks. I would say that it is my 2nd worst newbie mistakes, but I guess not that bad of one.
Here's a pic under actinics (daylights just shut off, sorry its kinda blurry)

footbag

Nice!!! I remember when I switched, one of the best things I did.
Hey, my brother is moving to Lubbock. He's going to Texas Tech.

Hi Droshi,
I think I am in the middle of the same "newbie" mistake...I even posted a thread yesterday regarding my CC substrate and if it was the source of my high PO4 and Nitrate readings.
Did you have high readings with the CC?
Also, how much sand, in lbs did it take you to get a bed that deep. I have a 75 gallon tank and a 30 gallon sump...how much do you think I'd need to do what you did in the display and the sump?
Also, I'd love to know where you got your sand...would you mind emailing me: angra25@hotmail.com

footbag

Not droshi but...
I had tested nitrates at between 10 and 40 before I switched. Getting it down was a matter of huge water changes.
I had huge piles of deitrus forming in my caves on the CC, and I had to remove 3 60LB rocks from the tank, to clean it.
This doesn't happen on a sandbed. A sandbed is also a lot more critter friendly, so the inverts are much more efficient cleaners.