cc to sb

nathanp0515

Just suppose I was going to change from cc to a sand bed(live). What are the steps I should take to change it? It is a 10g. It has already cycled and i'm waiting for it to mature a little before I add fish.
Should I take the cc out with my hands? I've heard thats bad for the water to stick your hands in let alone your whole arm.
If I just pur a bag in, would I have a sandstorm and if so, how long until it calms down?
I have also heard it does something like start a mini cycle if you take the cc out or vacumn it too much. Is this true?
Nathan

aarone

1. Good idea to switch to LS
2. its inevitable to not stick your hands in.
3. Use a small beach shovel.
4 . I noticed that when i poured the LS in, it settled a lot quiker than normal sand. Wet your sand down before pouring it in, then pour it down a pvc pipe to reduce the mess.
5. it might cause a mini cyle but since you dont have any fish i dont see a problem with that.
HTH

lionstorm

do a search on switching from crushed coral (cc) to a deep sand bed, there are many threads explaining exactly what steps to take.

T

thomas712

Honestly its just a 10 gallon tank, no need for DSB (AT ALL). You can even leave your crushed coral in because you will be doing water changes regularly.
If you would like to go with sand in it then I would get a bag of the live sand from the LFS like Natures Ocean and just use that.
Thomas