cc

I was wondering from the people that have cc did you all rinse the ca off before you put the cc in the tank. i did but i have heard from other people that they do not rinse theirs. just wondering what others do.
mike

jim672

Mike,
I started with cc which I did rinse before putting it in my tank. If I knew then what I know now, however, I wouldn't have put it in at all. I had to take it out about 1 and 1/2 years later because it was contributing, heavily, to a phosphate problem I had which caused a hugh algea bloom in my tank. It was alot of work but I removed the cc and put ls in. The sand is much nicer looking, too....IMO.
Jim

well in the next couple of months i may have to move and i think that i am going to go with the ls. how did you do that switch? did you just take a little out at a time? or all at once. didnt you have to cycle the tank over again.

jim672

Mike,
I bought one of those inexpensive "gravel vacuums" and thoroughly cleaned a section at a time during my weekly cleaning and water change. The section I cleaned was what I removed. I waited until all the cc was out to put the sand in, of course. I took it slow so I wouldn't upset the tank too much. It took me about 8 weeks to do it that way but I had a couple fish and some coral and wanted to avoid a cycle......which I did by doing it the way I did.
Your original post reads like you don't have the cc in your tank yet. If that's so, like I said , particularly if you think you'll be removing it in a few months,why put it in at all? Save yourself the trouble!!
Jim

i sorry i do have it in there already and it has be set up for about 1 and 1/2 years. i was just wondering what others did.but i dont think i will go back with it next time.

hey why cant i send pm's it wont let me i was tring to send 1 to you jim672. i dont know if it will let me or if i am doing something wrong.

S

simm

I didnt wash it. My tank was pretty cloudy for a few days but after adding charcol (sp?) it clearded right up.;)

jim672

Mike,
I didn't realize it either but it looks like the Admins have disabled that function......
If you want to e-mail me I can give you my address but it's at work so I don't have it listed here.
Jim

I was just going to talk to you that way so we would not take up the board with a conversation that we have going while we both are on the boards. if you know what i mean. may be i will ask a shark why we can not do it now. or if a shark is reading this will you please tell us why.
mike

I have CC in my tank- I have a new tank. I washed, washed, washed, and washed it before I put it in the tank- Day #1 of adding water to the tank it was crystal clear- this is the clearest tank I have ever set up. I think there is advantages and disadvantages to both....by the way Slimm- cool Texas Flag, way to go Lone Star State!!

tcoco

I had CC in mine for about 6 months and it got ugly looking I pulled a 1/4 out at a time over about 4 weeks and replaced it with southdown and LS. I don't have any ornimental fish or corals yet (thank goodness) it was a messy switch next time All sand looks alot better and my snails and hermits seem to like it alot better:D