Celebrate with me!

crazyzeus1

Seven months ago, my husband accidentaly purchased 3 Camel Back shrimp & I assumed he researched their "reef compatability" before I put them in . Boy was I wrong! These buggers have consumed over $500 in corals (LARGE spaghetti leather, 3 xenia colonies, 2 HUGE polyp colonies, about 20 mushrooms, etc)....
I have tried traps of all sorts...homemade, store bought, "fishing lure" type. I FINALLY figured out a good way to catch them & sure enough, I got 1 of them out of the tank! I could have pulled apart the live rock, but with 130lb, that was the LAST thing I wanted to do!
So...one down, two to go...then we can start purchasing corals again! Our poor 100gal tank is pretty, but could be SO much prettier stocked with more corals. Darn shrimp....
So...I'm having a Shrimp Gone Party today...won't you join my celebration?

klearstar

I feel your pain. I got lucky and mine got caught in the overflow. Has been in the sump ever since. I never could catch him and he ate a whole bonch of yellow polyps. Just chalk it up to experience. Good luck.

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by Dogstar
crazy, you did not say how you caught it, Care to let us in on the secret ?
I put a cube of frozen Formula One in the net (since it is gel based & won't break up) & then put the net/food at the bottom of the tank, on the sand. I put the food on the sand up against the glass, then angled the net so that the bottom of the net was in the sand, one end of the net was against the glass & the other end of the net was about 1 inch away from the glass. It sort of formed a little "cave" that the shrimp went into & as soon as he was near the food (which was inside my little cave) I shut the open end up against the glass & trapped him. Then I slid the net up the glass & prayed that when I got to the powerheads they wouldn't blow him out. It worked like a charm...I just had to be patient & wait for him to come to me.
I tried it again tonight for about 20 min. but had no luck. Figure I'll try again in a few days when they're hungry again! I was crazy to think I could get so lucky TWO nights in a row! :)
But...again tonight...I could only see 1 other shrimp, not the 3rd shrimp, so I'm hoping there's only 1 left, not 2. They usually would all come out for food...so I'm hoping...
Becuase once these guys are GONE, I can have fun stocking the coral again...can we say no budget?? It's been kiling me to let the tank sit with not-much coral knowing I have no budget for buying whatever we want! I could drop $400 on corals tomorrow...but won't because of these darn shrimp!

dogstar

Yea, thanks. Sometimes we do regret what we buy.... I had to catch a wrasse once and got lucky with the DIY Bottle Trap. Good luck with the other one.