Centipede in Tank?

criketnest

this morning I am looking at my tank as I feed my fish and there appeared to be a long centipeded like creature running around on my live rock. Not very big but very fast. Don't Think I could get a picture because he kinda blends in with rock when standing still. Should I be worrried? Could this have been a hitchhiker on rock?
Chris

promisetbg

Most likely a bristleworm.Is he grey and pinkish?
He is a scavenger...a good part of a tank .He could also be a fireworm.Just don't touch them with bare hands,as they can sting you.

criketnest

Thanks I think he was more grayish
Whew I get more and more stressed about this tank every day My daughter thinks Im obsessed
Chris

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by criketnest
My daughter thinks Im obsessed
Chris
You are obsessed. We all are. The sooner you come to terms with that, the better.

Bristle worm, below...

brucoh

You are obsessed. We all are. The sooner you come to terms with that, the better.
That's so true. If you just have a fish only tank with maybe a couple of damsels or a clown, I think you can keep the hobby at a distance. Your tank is more of a decoration for the house. The line is crossed once you buy live rock. Everything just sort of snowballs after that. Sitting in the dark with a flashlight, trying to spot new life crawling out of the rock, obsessing over calcium and alkalinty levels, getting excited when a little spot of coralline pops up on the glass, constantly thinking your equipment needs to be upgraded....etc....etc. My tank was fish only for about 2 years and I was fairly happy with it, did minimal maintenance, invested a minimal amount of money and things stayed fine. This summer, I bought my first 20 pounds of live rock and have been racking up my credit card ever since. I have upgraded pretty much every piece of equipment in my tank in the last 6 months, the only thing from the original setup is the heater and thermometer. So I guess my point is, once you purchase live rock prepare to be hooked on this soul sucking, bank account draining, wonderful world of reefkeeping.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by brucoh
That's so true. If you just have a fish only tank with maybe a couple of damsels or a clown, I think you can keep the hobby at a distance. Your tank is more of a decoration for the house. The line is crossed once you buy live rock. Everything just sort of snowballs after that. Sitting in the dark with a flashlight, trying to spot new life crawling out of the rock, obsessing over calcium and alkalinty levels, getting excited when a little spot of coralline pops up on the glass, constantly thinking your equipment needs to be upgraded....etc....etc. My tank was fish only for about 2 years and I was fairly happy with it, did minimal maintenance, invested a minimal amount of money and things stayed fine. This summer, I bought my first 20 pounds of live rock and have been racking up my credit card ever since. I have upgraded pretty much every piece of equipment in my tank in the last 6 months, the only thing from the original setup is the heater and thermometer. So I guess my point is, once you purchase live rock prepare to be hooked on this soul sucking, bank account draining, wonderful world of reefkeeping.
You got that RIGHT! I'm doing exactly the samething every night, flashing lights through the tank once the lights goes off!!!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Tizzo

Bristle worm, below...
I saw a Bristle worm in my tank last night with a flash light!