Chaeto shrinking

c42480

I have Chaeto in my sump and the clump keeps getting smaller. Is this normal? everything is doing great in the tank. On the sump i have a pc with 2 9 watt bulbs.
Thanks Chuck

c42480

Its a type of algae That you put in a sump or fuge and it helps with reducing phosphates. Its also a good home for pods and othere creatures that fish eat. It gives the creatures a place to reproduce.

tarball

hmm, I thought chaeto reduced nitrites & nitrates.

from what I have read you need 6500k & good water flow to get them growing. & some nitrates for dinner.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by c42480
I have Chaeto in my sump and the clump keeps getting smaller. Is this normal? everything is doing great in the tank. On the sump i have a pc with 2 9 watt bulbs.
Thanks Chuck
This is a bad sign,, hows the water flow on the CHAETO, what size fuge do you have, also I have a 5 gallon fuge with 36w of daylight 6700 on it,, how much light is on it daily? is it on a timer?

koolaidman

chaeto isnt really that picky to any type of light really, i have heard of people using plant lights at 2700k, which is what i just bought.

c42480

At first i had tried the incadecent plant bulb and that did not do well. Than i got the pc light to see if that would work and it did not either. It is in a sump that is a 20 long. !st chamber has lr and the bubble trap 2nd chamber is the pump and the 3rd chamber has the chaeto. The devider between chamber 2 and 3 is there just to keep the cheato from going into the pump the devider is just egg crate. The pump is moving 900gph through the sump

sign guy

is the chato tumbling? I have arounf aroung 950 on my chato but it tumbles it at the same time

sign guy

thats good try loosening it up by pulling at it dont dullint in two but make shure that water can get to all parts of the ball

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by koolaidman
chaeto isnt really that picky to any type of light really, i have heard of people using plant lights at 2700k, which is what i just bought.
I disagree here, the higher lighting will causee the chaeto to grow at a faster rate hence raise the rate of nutrient export.

geckopsu

Originally Posted by Buckeye88
cheatos tend to go away because they're cheesy and delicious

you've got a point there.