Chaeto vs caulerpa?

earlybird

Originally Posted by patandlace
Chaeto is better in my opinion. Caulerpa can make a tank crash if you aren't carefull.
Becuase it can go sexual and release it's nutrients back into the tank.

xokarmaxo

I have a 14 gallon Biocube and it was full of caulerpa... looked beautiful in the tank. Had it in there for 4 months before it decided to go sexual. Came into work (where my tank is) and saw that it was turning whitish/yellowish and knew what was happening and immediately started removing it all from the tank. Some of it had turned kind of mushy. I removed it all and did a 50% water change. Ran carbon and kept a check on my parameters and all was well. Thank God that I was able to get it out in time before it crashed my tank!~
I haven't replaced it with anything yet, but am looking to do so with some chaeto.

ric maniac

Originally Posted by codyjp
if you have a nano, where to you put the caeto to grow?
you could put it back behind your rocks or in the back filter compartment but i dont think it would get any light in the back compartment.

reefer545

If you prune your caulerpa it wont go sexual. it does that when it is ready to die so as to spread its seed. It dies because it has raised the ph too much or there is not enough nutrient in the system. All macroalgae actually can help stabilize a system buffer the ph, and help with nitrate consumption while also oxygenating the water. Chaeto needs pruning too. Both types actually raise the ph and while they provide great service to tanks like removing phosphate they just need pruning.If you dont they can raise the ph way to much. If you take care of them like a garden plant, they will prove to be a great asset in any tank and add quite a bit of beauty. Caulerpa is a bit harder to remove though, as it attaches a lot more securely. Chaeto also tends to provide a better breeding ground for pods, but both are great for pod cover. Chaeto can even get bristle worms that grow in it whereas caulerpa does not so much. Which is better? which ever one you think looks nicer.

1journeyman

There is a danger in keeping macro in your display tank. Remember that plants only exhale O2 while undergoing photosynthesis. That's why we run macros in lit refugiums opposite our displays. So that they can balance out the pH drop SW tanks typically go through at night.
Too much macro in a display can lower pH too much at night and suck too much 02 out of the water in the dark.

bknow

another question...when is it time to prune...when it overfills the fuge? or you estimate when you should...can you just pull a bunch out or cut it with scissors...sorry imma noob with this fuge stuff
haha

ninjamini

naww its like loose brillo. just pull a clump off. Its easier than you think. Yes to putting it in a refrigum. Add a good light. No 9 watt lights. I use a 50 watt spot and it grows and grows.

ninjamini

Anything can. But its highly unlikely too. What will happen is it will dissolve back into the water and return the nutrients that it absorbed. To avoid this you have to cut it back.

zjhoward

I had some of both in my small 6 gallon tank, and it was the worst mess I've ever had. The chaeto hosted a lot of pods and they both helped keep my pH stable, but they took over everything. It was ridiculous, even getting to the point that they grew over top of and killed a patch of zoanthids. I eventually took all the rock that it came on back and traded it. In my opinion, I would be weary about it in a nano, and definitely do not put it in the display part.

jonthefishguy

Caulerpa is just as good as chaeto. Chaeto may be more dense so that garbage can collect within it and be a breeding ground for pods, but the trick is to take some out from time to time and not just forget about it. I have customers that have been using it for years and they harvest some out when it overgrows and never had an issue.